My '89 9670 build

For you lovers of the Class 8's and bigger.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Re: My '89 9670 build

I must be getting close, cause I allowed myself to order a set of steer tires. Back when I did heavy haul, I beefed up the front end, with 16K front springs and 6 spoke cast wheels. With this cabver and my Marmon they are "nose heavy" so I use Motor coach steer tires. They are the some footprint as a Std 11 r 22.5 but can carry 7800 per tire or better (some go over 8000lbs/tire). They require a nine inch extra capacity rim (a std rim is only good for 7400 lbs).
The down side is not many places stock them, so I have to order when I need them. That is where the match to an 11 r 22.5 come in handy. If need be you can use a 11 22.5 next to or across the steer axle from these tires, but with reduce load.
They are popular in Europe, where heavier axle weight are allowed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Re: My '89 9670 build

Today's project was to make an "H" manifold (or is it an I?) for the Espar. It allows the coolant to flow directly to the heater when the engine is running (thru the vertical check valve) and let the Espar pump the coolant thru the heater when the engine is off.
On my other trucks I made this out of 3/4" copper tube with the fittings sweated on. This time I decided it was overkill and went with 1/2" Npt fittings which make the whole deal more compact.
Shut off valves allow me to change out the Espar without draining the whole system.
This is not the way Espar's instructions tell you to plumb it, but I have done 3 trucks now this way and have been very happy with the results. The only draw-back is you have to remember to put the heater control all the way to hot before starting the Espar.
Attachments
H Manifold.jpg
H manifold 2.jpg
Previous

Return to Large Trucks