Electric Steering

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri May 22, 2020 7:33 pm

Electric Steering

Anybody installed electric steering on their pickups? I see most of yall going the hydraulic pump assist route.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 22, 2020 8:12 pm

Re: Electric Steering

https://youtu.be/Sq-vqCLmZws
I would use electric steering. I have not installed it, yet. Electric steering is more available now, I wish I had the option years ago.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 pm

I still use the good old Armstrong variety.

On a serious note I didn't even no this existed. I'm fine with the manual steering in my S120 but my 73 F250 is also manual and I plow with it in the winter, it would be a nice upgrade for that usage.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:27 am

I still use the good old Armstrong variety.

1st I think; never heard of that brand , then it hits me , lol

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 23, 2020 7:46 am

Electric steering has been around since hybrid powered vehicles have been on the roads. The 2006 Toyota Highlander hybrid we had was equipped with electric steering. Think about it. If a vehicle is running on electric motors and the gasoline engine isn’t running, the steering, A/C, etc. need to still be operating. So, electric powered units of all the accessories had to be incorporated. The additional benefit of going electric power steering and electric power A/C, etc. is the removal of the additional drag on the engine, i.e. better gas mileage!

I considered installing electric steering at the time my ‘51 was going through rebuild, but locating an appropriate unit was more than I wanted to get into. There were a couple of companies just starting to offer aftermarket steering units, but their costs were outside my budget. Today aftermarket vendors are offering up “universal” models for all kinds of applications. If they had been on the market 7 years ago, I would have been researching them to use. Heck, for what it’s worth, my 2017 F-150 Eco-boost 3.5L, 10 speed tranny has electric steering and electric A/C so that the drag on the engine is reduced.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Return to L, R and S