R-190 Engine and tires...

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:39 am

R-190 Engine and tires...

HI guys,
I am wondering what model/size this engine is? It is gas and currently in a R-190 with airbrakes. Also the truck has 10 lug rims (widow makers?)- are these replaceable with modern Budd wheels to get an easier 22.5 tire size mounted? Here are some pictures. Thanks!
Attachments
69281774_468891763961384_3972936828603858944_n.jpg
10 lug tire.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Re: R-190 Engine and tires...

It is an RD series 6 cyl, displacement can be many things. Look for the engine number stamped on the block behind the air compressor It will start with RD followed by the displacement Most likely RD450 (450 cid)

The wheels are 20" tube type Budds, You can keep them or replace with 22.5 Budds. They are lock ring wheels, not "widow-makers, (Firestone RH 5 deg )

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:41 am

Ahh...THANKS CB89 you are the best! I was hoping I could easily replace these tube 20's with some used modern radial tubeless tires from an S-series modern international, they are plentiful near me. Its great news that the BUDD style 10 lug rims will fit. I will know more about this rig today- I think its going to be my hauler. I'm HOPING it will be my hauler as water is our premium expense right now. Thanks for all the sound and excellent advice! Greg Egg

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:21 am

OK UNBELIEVABLE- CANT MAKE THIS STUFF UP!!!!

The seller just called right after I posted about Budd type wheels, and didn't want to sell truck to me- as "I asked too many questions", and "his gut told him that he didn't want to deal with any headaches" of me transporting the truck back to my place (FYI insured and registered -all legal) Then before I could get a word in edgewise he hung up on me! Or shall I say, called himself "just a simple farmer" and then hung up like a 12 year old school girl.

I AM A "SIMPLE FARMER" and suspect a lot of the decent guys here are as well and would NEVER behave in such a way. Now, once again I am back to square one with the water truck search.

Can I ask the group, are there any decent folks out there who are selling a truck that can haul water for a similar honest and decent guy about to loose his shirt paying for water deliveries? Where are they? Certainly NOT on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace- I am at the end of my rope with people right now. Frustrated and angry. :t9409:

Thanks for listening. Greg Egg.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:40 am

Man, that really is too bad. Shame that folks are like that. It is also too bad that you are so far away from the west part of the country. There seem to be more of the bigger Internationals out our way. Have you considered a used Box truck? Use the box for storage, or sell it for storage and then put a water tank on the frame? Just a thought.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:51 am

Thanks. I have considered all kinds of heavy trucks. I must have looked at about 300 online and about 4 in person. I think International is my best bet as the DT 446 series engine is a real winner and can be shoe horned into most IH models. IH trucks are also plentiful here in NY/

I am still really P.O'ed at seller but will eventually get over it. I do not operate like that- I am honest it seems almost to a fault as compared to some folks and am naive enough to expect same, man do I have a lot to learn!

I suspect now based upon seller's texts he was hiding something in regards to the truck's condition. He claims that he "didnt want to be sued" if I had an accident on my way home. Thats a red flag I just seem to have dodged. Honestly, the more humans I meet the more I like our house cat. (present company excluded of course)

Anyway, I see trucks here in NY but they are rusty and tired...often long past their useful life. Especially the Loadstars. I would be happy with a standard, diesel, and air-braked 1980's S-series, a 1970s'-80's Cargostar, or as of 20 minutes ago an R-series from the 1950's or 60's.

My budget is low, around 2700 dollars...as the good portion of my earnings and now most of my savings is being drained by the water man's delivery costs. I am worried we may lose our shirts with our "new" house. Any truck leads would be appreciated. Greg :mrgreen:

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:16 pm

Wish I could help. I do have one of those box trucks sans the box, we used it to haul a three car slant on 800 mile round trips. Trans needs rebuilt, but the 466 seems sound. I do not want much for it, but shipping would cost a small fortune to your side of the country. One of my son's contacts is looking at some of his equipment and that truck also(maybe). shoot, if the trans did not cost a lot, I would suggest flying out here to Idaho and driving this one home. It does need to go. Shipping of rigs is always a large cost when you want to find one.
Good luck in your search, I hope you find one soon.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks. Shipping would be costly...flying out for a road trip back would be fun., provided I didnt break down. then fun would end quickly. LOL. I know western trucks are better rust wise than our rust belt trucks. I have been looking in Montana for some as well as the high desert seems a sound proving ground for unaltered and original vehicles. I'm thinking of joining my local ATHS chapter and attending their show in Saratoga County this September. Who knows maybe I'll find a link there...

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Good luck in your search.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:34 pm

How much would it cost to drill your own well ?
Next

Return to L, R and S