Disc Brakes & Power Steering

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 am

Re: Disc Brakes & Power Steering

Power steering was an option during the part of the LRS series run. It was not a popular option on the smaller trucks, so OEM setups are hard to find. But if you can find one, it should be a bolt-on install.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:14 pm

I have the Omni rack and pinion steering on my yellow 48 KB-2, it is manual and mounted on the axle with a slip shaft. It has worked good for the last 4 years with only the big bumps felt in the wheel, also you only have to get rolling and it feels like power steering. It is easier to steer then my manual mustang II rack on Rusty.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Bill but I am getting out of the IH business as a really sweet 65 Econoline pickup showed up and said buy me. I have a very special place in my memories for the econolines, I have put the IH on the sale pad.
JimG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:02 am

wisconsinjimmy wrote:Thanks for the reply Bill but I am getting out of the IH business as a really sweet 65 Econoline pickup showed up and said buy me. I have a very special place in my memories for the econolines, I have put the IH on the sale pad.
JimG

Crap! losing a good truck, I just hope whoever you sell it to doesn't cut the old body all to pieces and turn it into trash.
Vehicles;
1953 R130
3 X 1952-'54 Austin A40 Somsersets

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:43 pm

Bruce and I have similar projects going on, so I'm sure we'll continue watching this thread.

Wildmanbill, tell me more about the rack and pinion steering.
Also, have you finished the write up on your disc brake conversion?

I'm hoping for a "Disc Brake Conversion for Dummies" style for us mechanically reclined . Mine will be more like Nick's though.
Thanks,Greg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Power Steering EH?
YES WE CAN! I put power steering on a 1953 R120 and it was easy. I mounted the pump an a modified bracket that mounted on the block where the generator is. The bracket held both the GM Delco alternator and the GM Saginaw power steering pump. For the power box, I used a Saginaw power steering box from a Dodge 4X4 from a generation one pickup. As I remember, the frame mounting was very close to that of IHC. I cut the drag-link and threaded the end to fit a MOOG sleeve and used a matching rod-end to fit the Saginaw pitman arm. It might be necessary to re-clock the Pitman arm. You will notice that there are double wide splines on the sector shaft and in the Pitman arm. What I did was to cut the double wide index spline into two with a tri-angle file. Be careful and take your time, mark your place an get at it. There are different length Pitman arm lengths that can be used to change your steering response. Now might be a good time to buy a new MADE IN USA, Nicholson file just for this job. Sorry, I do not have a picture of the conversion.
This might be a good time to mention that the IHC 304 V8 is a direct bolt in to your truck, and since you are changing your steering anyway, this is a good time to put a V8 in the truck. Everything is bolt up and the fan fit the original shroud perfectly. I even added the automatic with the 304 V8. BTW, IT ALL FITS PERFECTLY.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Artificial intelligence is no match for real stupidity....
Previous

Return to L, R and S