R152 charging system

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:59 am

Re: R152 charging system

Well, I had a good discussion yesterday with an electrical supplier that I have purchased from and have great respect for. Consensus is that the regulators out there today may or may not be able to bring back a battery that has been discharged due to extended cranking at start up. The regulators are more like maintainers and cannot stand high demand. If the truck is parked for extended time, 2-3 weeks, it requires a lot of cranking to bring fuel back to the carburetor due to evaporation of todays fuel, my opinion. All this leads to a failed regulator.
Some options are to go to an alternator, 6v pos. ground are available, and eliminate the regulator, add an electric fuel pump to assist at start up, or maybe try non ethanol fuel.
My opinion, after yesterday, is the fuel issue is the real problem and the electrical system is what suffers. I am going to experiment with non ethanol fuel first to see if it makes a difference. Probably end up adding an electric fuel pump to aid with start up and then decide what to do with the charging system.
Opinions welcome.
Thanks to Nikki and CB for your replies.
Thanks to bossybinder for the truck comment
Have a good day
Dennis

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:52 am

Dennis, to aid starting after the truck has sat awhile, what i did was to add an electric fuel pump, in series with the mechanical fuel pump. I also added a check valve in parallel with the electric fuel pump, as shown in the attached picture. I have a small push button under the dash, so the electric fuel pump is only activated when needed, prior to starting. You can hear the electric fuel pump when it starts running and you can also hear it slow down when the gas fills up the carb bowl and the needle valve shuts off the flow. You than just release the button and it starts right up. DonO
Attachments
elect fuel pump.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:00 pm

That is a great idea. Easy to install and not expensive.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:28 pm

Sorry But I smell B.S. Generator regulators are supposed to run flat out. They are mechanical points, nothing to burn or wear if made properly.
Most brush tyoe alternators will see shortened life if run flat out, the brushes and slip rings can't take it.
Actually it is alternators that can't take recharging a dead battery, it says so in the paperwork that comes with a new alternator.
My advice is spend some more time solving the problem.
A generator system is supposed to be able to output its rated amps with 100% duty cycle, that is why there is a current regulator built into the voltage regulator assembly.
Either your shop doesn't know what the heck they are talking about or don't want to stand behind their products, either way it doesn't say much for them.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:21 pm

yeah the one spring the truck wouldn't start, no gas at the carb. I thought the fuel pump went bad and took it apart. Turns out the poor gas we have now, left a white powdery residue on the rubber surfaces of the button valves preventing them from sealing. The electric fuel pump flows gas over the button valves, wetting them and make them work after sitting all winter.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:12 pm

Thanks DonO for your input and picture. That is exactly where I am headed with the fuel issue. I am considering the Airtex E8902 pump. I have read where it is a flow through pump whether it is running or not so should not need the bypass and check valve as you have. We will see. RockAuto has them for $31.00. Hearing the starter grind away after sitting is aggravating in it- self when I know it will start 1-2 revs if run everyday. The electric pump would be in series with manual pump, operated with a button or momentary rocker as you have done and used only for start up.

As far as the regulator analogy, I wouldn't call it BS. I have read in many places about the quality, or lack of, of the current electrical components, including regulators, we all have to live with. The supplier only confirmed it. And, is the only logical reason for the failure in my situation. I don't know what fails but it is definitely not doing it's job. On the other hand, I have a 1948 IHC T6 crawler that I have owned for 50yrs that has, probably original, Delco Remy components, sits all winter, takes some doing in the summer to get it started and charges as it should. Go figure. We do not have the quality of the old days to work with today. Guess we are just lucky to have something for these old rigs.
Thanks for everyone's input
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:39 am

If your generator works when you ground the field, right there you know the problem is the field is not grounding, You know the reverse current relay is working in the regulator and the wiring is intact between the armature and battery via the regulator. So that leaves the wire between the the regulator and gen, the grounding of the regulator itself, and the points inside the regulator. Three things to look at but you are going to change the charging system?
Yeah, things aren't made as well today, but you problem is far more likely to be a grounding issue than anything else. Your money, your time, do as you wish. It is also contradictory to say "stuff isn't made as well today, so for reliability, I'm going to replace the old system with one made today"!
Previous

Return to L, R and S