Distributor / Timing Help

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun May 09, 2021 8:46 am

Re: Distributor / Timing Help

I can't get the timing to read right. I set it by ear and drove it around the block. Seems to be running/sounding good.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 09, 2021 9:34 am

6v system. 12v gun. I was connecting both leads of the gun directly to the 12v battery terminals. I will try grounding to the truck frame. If that doesn't work I'll go off sound again.

So not to confuse you, do connect the gun directly to the 12 volt battery
but add one lead from the 12v battery positive to the frame... That worked for
me and solved the issue I had as you stated your having
timing light picking up spark from other wires

Seems to be running/sounding good.

then it sounds like you have it dialed in.. the light may be good to see what it is set at.
If you can post a clip of it running , like to hear it.. either way enjoy :)

Fun stuff for sure !

Be safe

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 10, 2021 6:27 pm

https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/4022 ... tml?page=5
This is the timing light I have and use. These instructions are clear and simple. This is my second of these timing lights. I stupidly lent out my first one. The borrower ran the cords through the fan on his 1948 Ford. I insisted that the timing light be replaced. I do not lend anything out, now, EVER
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 10, 2021 7:06 pm

When I was working in Automotive, the workhorse in my tool box was the Altest digital timing meter. It worked on anything that had space for mag pick-up on the balancer, so later 70's onward. I also had a Craftsman inductive timing light.
The Altest could be used on High pressure (diesel) injection lines to read diesel timing on those not running common rail type. It took another adaptor but detected the pulse in the high pressure line.
I didn't have an advance light, as I worked on mostly newer stuff and the Altest read out RPM and advance on two readouts.
The Craftsman was/is a good solid basic (non advance) inductive timing light.
The two tools I used most was the compression leakdown tester and the Altest. One told you the engine condition and the other made sure the timing was spot on the money, without having to peer into or through the fan.
I may need to pick up and advance timing light some day.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 10, 2021 7:41 pm

I am familiar with injection line impulse adapter. NW Diesel used it on my 6.9 Diesel. They set up the injection pump after they rebuilt it. NWD was a Stanadyne dealer, distributor and repair shop. They borrowed my R120 for a week for a display when they hosted a company event for Stanadyne
That 6.9 Diesel in an "R" was one of the more fun vehicles I have owned. The looks of WTF and how did you get that in there?, were the most fun. 80 mph, in overdrive, on the highway surprised a few persons. Fuel economy was very good. I still think the 6.9 idi and 7.3 idi are the best sounding Diesels.
Attachments
R120 6.9.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Previous

Return to L, R and S