41 international K3- advice on brakes

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:09 am

41 international K3- advice on brakes

Hello-

I have acquired a 41 International K3 Woodie, which I am starting to restore. The truck/car is completely intact and the wood is actually in very good condition.

The problem is brakes, which appears to be a common problem for the K3s. I have not been able to find replacement brake shoes for the K3 drum brakes. Likewise, there is not a disc brake conversion for the K3, like there is for the K2 and K1. As brakes are quite important, I am trying to decide how to address this. Of course, it would be nice to keep things as stock as possible, but safety must be addressed.

1. Acquire a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear which has disc brakes. My understanding is that this requires a minimum of fabrication, mostly in relocating the attachment for the newer tube shocks. Is that correct?
If using the Ford Explorer rear end, how is the drive train addressed? Is a "combination" drive shaft using the international and the ford explorer drive shaft created at a machine shop?

2. Are there other/better options for the rear axle assembly that would allow use of the existing 6 bolt international wheels?

3. Are there sources for the rear drum brakes (brake shoes, cylinders, ect) that I am missing?

4. For the front, there appears to be a disc brake conversion for the K1 and K2, but not the K3. Is a new front axle assembly required? I have found a few brake shoes for the front brakes, which would allow use of the existing front end and wheels, but it would look weird with the stock front wheels and aftermarket rear wheels. Any thoughts?

I contacted "Fat man" and they said that they might be able to construct a front end assembly/suspension for the K3, but I need to provide some measurements to them. Anyone found any other options?

Thanks for any help! I have read all the existing threads about this and have gained good information, but not a firm answer on what is the best way to address this issue.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:16 pm

Re: 41 international K3- advice on brakes

K-1 and 2 hub will go on front axle, everything is basically the same except axle is thicker,
you will be going from 6 lug to 5 lug 4.5 pattern,
if you swap rear you'll need to do front anyway, otherwise different rims front and rear.

that being said, you can have cylinders sleeved by white post and shoes relined, if drums aren't over worn. stock brakes are just fine on these trucks if you aren't putting a hod rod motor in it.

A stock woodie will always have good resale value, once you modify it, value drops depending on how well you modify it. but it's your truck, do it how you like it.

let's see a pic of your woodie
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:39 pm

I did a search for this info, I do not know if this place is still in business, best to try to contact them. If they are, it is a possibility for you.I made this post in January of 2018 and talked with him late 2017. I found the link to the fellow who can re-sleeve the big six drum. Here is their web page: https://www.jgrelining.com/ As I said, I personally talked with this fellow and he said he could do the drums.
just talked with him and he said price on a 12-13: dia. 3-31/2 depth cost could be around $350 plus could be different price, just need to call and get accurate quote. currently 6+ week turn around. They can also do the shoes, re-arch and have studs both right and left hand. The owners name is Don, A great guy.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Wow!

Thanks for the information, guys!

That is Exactly what I wanted to do- preserve as much of the originality as possible. Woodies are a little different than other cars, in that the restomods can actually be worth more than bone stock. Kind of weird, but that is the way the Woodie market has usually been.

That being said, I already have two restomod woodies and one bone stock. This one I would like to keep as close to original as possible, just for the heck of it. As you guys know, it would be a lot easier to throw in a new drivetrain and suspension and call it a day, but that is not nearly as much fun. I did the '48 myself 20 years ago; it was owned by the founder of the National Woodie club. His restoration (he already changed it into a restomod) was a little screwed up, so I fixed it.

Very much appreciate the information! I will get a hold of Don and see if he can do the job. The price is not much of an issue, I just want to get it done. The guy at general spring in Kansas City said he could custom make me new leaf springs identical to the original and I was able to grab a couple of extra knee shocks, I I think I have the suspension covered with the "brake through".

Question- I found on the classic dodge site that there are some new brake shoes as well that are 14" X 1 3/4" (with "some" being "14 X 2") and some dodge shoes that are 14 1/8" X 2". The question is whether these could be used as spares/back ups as well? I know it is verboten to use shoes larger than stock, as it could result in catastrophic "lock up". And,,,, now that you guys have helped, I will just send the drums to Don. However, could either one of those be used for back ups such that I should buy them too? I am not too familiar with the specifics of drums and am more of a disc guy, so I would assume that the 14" X 1 3/4" would be okay, with just a little more "mushy" pedal. Is that correct?

Thanks TONS!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:54 am

If you want to do the swap, I have a complete KB 1 rear axle and springs. It was a KB cut in half and made into trailer at one time, bought it for the original bed.
You can always "you could use "UShip" That's what I used and it was affordable. It's small and a shipper can just add it to his load headed your way for a few hundred bucks sometimes. And it can roll, just has some junk (non KB) wheels and tires on it.
Let me know if your interested.

https://www.uship.com/?r=2304&cmp=Googl ... gJWpfD_BwE

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:25 pm

So regarding the K3 front axle -

Will K1 and K2 hubs fit on the front K3 axle?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:46 pm

hawkeye2009 wrote:So regarding the K3 front axle -

Will K1 and K2 hubs fit on the front K3 axle?

Yes, I put K-3 hubs on my KB-1 40 yrs ago, slipped right on
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:41 pm

Splendid- thank you!

You guys are life savers. Currently at my farm (physicians take strange vacations) and primarily working in the wood. I’ll take the doors and tailgate back to Mo to work on there.

Found a rear axle in the back seat area. Me thinks someone has been up to foolishness on that rear end.

It appears the K1 and K2 front and rear axles would reduce some of the part scarcity issues. Heck, it might look better with hubcaps anyway.

Curiously, the rear passenger door (only one) has a piano hinge like the tailgate. Didn’t expect that.

Lots of Masonite on the interior door panels and rear deck interior panels, which is kind of weird.

Return to K and KB