Rockers Off Center

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:56 pm

Rockers Off Center

Hi all,

I attached a few photos below.
I reassembled the valve train on our BD240, and a few of the rockers do not sit centered on top of the valves. This is on a few valves, some more than others. Is this normal? It doesn't seem to be, unless they find their home when the engine is running....
Let me know what you guys think when you have a moment.

Thanks!

Bryon
Attachments
Rocker1.jpg
Rocker.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:47 pm

Re: Rockers Off Center

Did you disassemble that piece? Did you "lay it out" in the order you disassembled it, and reassembled it the same way? If yes to the first question and no to the second, That could be your issue, but then that is just a guess from me. Hopefully someone else will have a more definitive answer.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:28 pm

I am afraid that may be the problem. I initially had everything laid out in the order I disassembled it, but it got all mixed up when I took the rockers to the machine shop to get the ends dressed out. Now I am not sure how I'd ever figure out how to get it back in order. All the parts are the same, no shims, etc, so I am surprised some are this far off center. I wonder if they would find center after running the engine a while...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:14 pm

The only thing I can add would be that your a tad bit off your rocker :)

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:13 pm

spin your engine without starting it to see if they start to center, only advice I have.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:05 pm

I think all the rockers are the same part number, at least they are on SD220/240 and BD264 so mixing should not be an issue. If yours is a slant valve, could be a different story. Check your parts book. I don't think what you are seeing is uncommon. That is why you had to have the machine shop clean up the surfaces. My opinion anyways.
Dennis
Had another thought Bryon.
Is it possible to install the brackets in the wrong order? Could be more than one p/n of those with different off sets.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:04 am

I have been inside a few old low tech OHV engines over the years and have seen this many times to the degree that it makes it almost impossible to adjust the valves with a feeler gauge. I usually dress them flat by hand on a belt sander.

Most of the old engines have been Farmall tractors, A's through M's from the 40's and 50's. I never removed more material than needed and they all seemed to run ok.

The old beasts are fairly forgiving.

b4

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks guys!
Harvey, I like the video..lol... cool toy truck too.
So I disassembled the valve train yesterday to check everything. All the rockers are the same part number. The supports have three types: the two end supports, number 3 and 5, and 2, 4, and 6, which have alignment bushings. Everything was assembled correctly. I got most of them riding better by swapping a few rockers around, and also by pulling the end supports inboard as I tightened them. This seemed to help and held position after torqued... They look to be riding fairly centered now.
Kevin from the forum and I have been discussing this as well, which brought up another question. On Kevin's straight valve, the number 3 support was drilled to flow oil. This is a tilt valve, and number 3 and 5 supports are the same part number. Neither look drilled or hollow. My manual mentions lining up number three with the oil hole in the head though, but I have found my manual is often inaccurate for this engine. I think it's for a different serial number range. I'm confused by this. Any thoughts.... it has to get oil somehow....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:19 pm

I got most of them riding better by swapping a few rockers around,

Great lesson on just how important reassemble marking / layout can be for machinery
same can be learned with electric motor reassembly.
I always lightly center punch or hatch line to match up, for this very reason..

Hope it all works out for you..

Cheers !

Return to A, B, C and D Series