Oil Pump Gasket BD240

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:00 am

Oil Pump Gasket BD240

Hi all,

I am assembling a BD240, and my manual, which seems to be for a later serial number series and often conflicts with what I physically have, mentions installing a gasket between the crankcase and oil pump when installing the pump. My gasket set has no gasket for this, and my parts manual does not show a gasket....
Does this get a gasket? I do not see one for the distributor mount either, so it seems to me like there is no seal for this system, and it will leak. Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks!

Bryon

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:26 pm

Re: Oil Pump Gasket BD240

If no one answers, you might try getting a hold of Olsens Gaskets and asking them what they have for your serial number motor. They are a good place.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:05 am

I've torn apart an SD220 that was as it came from the factory, and there was no gasket between the oil pump and block. And although they had been rebuilt, there were none on the BD240, BD264, or BG265 that I've dismantled. And none showing in any of those parts books. I haven't even seen one mentioned in a manual. I do think there was a felt seal under the distributor, although there hasn't been one on any engine I've had. Any leak between the oil pump and block machined surfaces would just run back down into the crankcase. The oil pressure from the pump doesn't come up the shaft into the distributor base, so that wouldn't be pressurized in any event.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:36 am

OK. That makes sense. I was concerned that oil would work it way up past the distributor. I appreciate your help! I'll put the oil pan on tonight.

Bryon

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:23 pm

Yeah, all IHC designed 6's oil pumps use a tube to direct the oil from the pump to the oil rifle. There might be a little oil that makes it up the shaft to keep it lube'd but nothing that needs to be sealed as far as I know..

Return to A, B, C and D Series