WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:43 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Being fortunate to have connections to a distributor and service generators for my customers
I purchased one for my home and fitted it up with enough distribution and cords to reach several neighbors,
I built it on a motor cycle trailer I happened to have and not use , so it can easily be moved out front
in a outage requiring sharing..
500 gal propane on site , properly stored. I customized a Manual transfer switch
setup with good instructions so the wife can operate it if I am away..

But like you gents outages thankfully are few, credited to excellent IBEW trained linemen that work for our power
service company..

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Our Hydro linemen are IBEW. I started work with Hydro in 1974. I stayed for 35 years. The company was broken up several times. After 35 years I had the same employee number even though the company name had changed 6 times.
The city work can be extremely dangerous beyond the obvious. Traffic adds another level of OMG
The power just came back on. A tree had fallen across the transformer. There were 65 connections affected.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:28 pm

Yeah, I worry about those guys. Backfeed can be deadly.
I keep thinking I'll put in a manual transfer switch and buried cable out back of the barn for this set, might get to it some day. I am fortunate, power comes off a yard pole with a master disconnect to a master distribution panel that splits the main feeds to the house and barn. I could put the transfer switch right there, and feed everything.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:10 pm

Lineman always shunt their lines on each side HV & LV depending could be shunted at several intervals ,
they are trained and fully aware of the short and arc that will occur. It is a dangerous job and
we must always support them ,
- Talking about the serious issue with those small wheeled gen sets being installed to the house wiring, a big no no no
unless setup by a pro, it can be as simple as a manual switch feeding a male plug on the gen input and hardwired
to utility mains and house.. city or county permits a must, I like to put the approved tag
right on the T/S

- Best advice I can give is just use proper sized extension cords and set the unit down wind outside.
and wait for power to restore,,

The cover of the transfer switch is screwed closed and sealed , with a label "Do not break seal No Fuses Inside"

- A simple written procedure insures a safe and effective backup operation.

Over the years MEC has installed several backup systems. Each 
with its own specific written procedure.

✓ Outage Times Can Be Stressful
 Most notably in High Secure Areas
Make no mistake , Write it down, A life will depend on it.

I consider my home My Highest Secure Area

Always Be Safe - sm
If you have questions don't hesitate to call. This applies to board members herewith as well.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:58 pm

No question about it, if I do it it will be done with a transfer switch and by an electrician.
I trust my own skills, and know about neutral bonding issues with this type of set-up, but if anything happens, having installed by a Lic installer will be worth the cost.
It will be set up as a portable not a permanent install on the generator end. It will need a delta/wye transformer at the gen hook up anyway.
I don't have a trencher and when all is said and done, I think paying someone to do it will be simpler.
To get a warm house in the dead of winter, I can supply enough off my trucks deep cycle batteries and an inverter the truck has. So far we haven't lost power long enough to be a problem.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:06 am

I bought a PTO generator several years ago and had a IBEW electrician install the transfer switch. We are prone to ice storms here and they wreak havoc with the distribution system.

We have never had to use the generator but it gives us great peace of mind. Just have to make sure the tractor starts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:17 am

As most people know, Florida is susceptible to the wrath of hurricanes. I moved to Fl. in 1979 and until 2004 never even came close to one affecting me, although other parts of the state did. In 2004, on my wife’s birthday, Charlie came ashore and across us. One month later, Frances came across us and two weeks later, it was Jeanne. Since then, two years ago, Irma passed across. Except for Irma, we lost power for days with each one. A few years before Irma, we installed a whole house generator -Generac- and we have been delighted to have it. A few seconds after power goes out, it automatically starts up. It’s propane fueled from a large buried tank that we have only needed to refill one time since installation. It is so nice to have power when the grid goes down. The only negative for me is the noise it makes while running, because it’s only several feet away from our bedroom window and sits on a concrete slab beside a concrete block wall. But when it’s hot outside and the A/C is able to keep the house cool for sleeping, I’ll overlook the noise. One evening we had gone shopping and coming home I noticed the neighbors homes wear all dark - the power was out. As we approached our house, I hit the garage door opener, the door went up, we pulled into the garage like normal and then noticed the Generac was running. Our lives were not interrupted as our neighbors were. I actually felt a little guilty for having the privilege of electricity while all around us, they had none. But, we’ve worked hard to afford some privileges, and are happy that when we get another hurricane that knocks power out for several days, we will be able to share power with the single women who live on either side of us.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:35 am

We live in a bermed passive solar house so heating and cooling is free and not dependent on the Grid. I do have a wood stove for back up but even in the winter if we get a few cloudy days in a row the house never goes below 65 degrees. Summer if it reaches 90 degrees outside its a comfy 72 degrees inside with the windows open for fresh air. The kitchen stove is a 1950 Wedgewood gas range and for lighting when the power goes out we have antique kerosene lamps. A power outage in a winter storm for the wife and I is a nice trip back to the past, sometimes were almost disappointed to see the lights come on. I sold my generator when I got out of the home building business.
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:42 am

I have an old Gillette gasoline-powered portable(?), 16hp single cylinder Briggs, but since only the two antique tractors run gasoline anymore, I keep very little gas around, usually 25 gallons or less. Short of syphoning from vehicles, fuel becomes an issue in a long-term outage. Mine requires a manual hookup to backed from the barn to the house, and disconnect from the grid, so I'm really the only one who will attempt it, so I looked into an automatic, natural gas unit. WOW, much saltier than I expected, I figured $6KUS, but that wasn't half of it! Almost $2K for many to sub out the gas line upgrade/installation alone.

I felt for that kind of money I would explain that my wife will have to sweat/shiver until I come home from work, should need arise. We have really only had one outage where I felt it necessary to run the generator to keep freezers cold- July 4 2014, the weekend my Dad died. I had taken the generator to Mom/Dad's so he could stay in his own house under Hospice care and there could be lights and A/C for the rest of us. I am glad to have had the resource to use when needed.

I have about 18 months to get something automatic installed, my neighbor says we get a major damaging storm every other _2 year, so 2022 is our next bad spot (62, 82, 2002, 2022).

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:31 pm

I hope your all staying well and have a good 4th of July
thanks for all the good information on our truck as well as the conversations.
Peace be with you..

Steve Molcsan
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion