Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:53 pm

Re: Virtual Front Porch

Binder Mike wrote:I worked on the section gang for the Denver Rio Grande Rail Road in Moffet tunnel back in the early 1970's . None of the modern equipment would fit in the tunnel and we did everything by hand just like in the 1870's. The crew rode in an out of the tunnel everyday in a small motorcar powered by a Ford straight six engine. We had to get in and get our work done and get out before the California Zephyr or one of the Utah coal trains came along and crushed the lot of us. That Ford six didn't always want to start and we had some close calls!

Harvey, that was one kick ass zydeco tune! I love that kind of music, thanks for posting it!

That must have been a harrowing experience. We run a smaller car yet with a twin cylinder Onan.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:16 pm

b4autodark wrote:
Binder Mike wrote:I worked on the section gang for the Denver Rio Grande Rail Road in Moffet tunnel back in the early 1970's . None of the modern equipment would fit in the tunnel and we did everything by hand just like in the 1870's. The crew rode in an out of the tunnel everyday in a small motorcar powered by a Ford straight six engine. We had to get in and get our work done and get out before the California Zephyr or one of the Utah coal trains came along and crushed the lot of us. That Ford six didn't always want to start and we had some close calls!

Harvey, that was one kick ass zydeco tune! I love that kind of music, thanks for posting it!

That must have been a harrowing experience. We run a smaller car yet with a twin cylinder Onan.

Our section boss would tell us the Zephyr doesn't stop for anything! No two way radios in the tunnel so we were on our own. When the train was in the tunnel there were only inches between it and the wall so there was nowhere to get out of the way. I was in my 20's back then although it was a bit nerve wracking but life was one big adventure and things like that made for good stories.

Edit: I looked at the videos on youtube, Very impressive! What a fun thing to be involved in!
Last edited by Binder Mike on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:19 pm

U-tube rail speeder
I had no idea this existed
fun hobby and the scenery had me glued to the screen

Really cool ! Thanks for sharing. - sm

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:19 am

The scenery is great, and I get to see who has an old IH stashed in their backyard too! You would be surprised what there is out there that you don't see from the roads.

It's a fun hobby and the speeders are unique. Everyone is out for a good time and the people involved are very safety oriented.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:57 pm

A little more Cajun music for Harvey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqDqzGG8ba0
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:33 pm

just got home from work and greeted at the PC with this :)
It had already been a great day now a good evening as well, cheers Mike!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:14 pm

THE NEW BRONCO IS HERE

I want one of these. Fantastic commercial. There is a 5 second pause. WAIT. It is worth the wait.
I had one of these, back in the day. I miss it.
https://youtu.be/CacIlFaXph0
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:44 am

Aw crap! I haven't had new truck fever in decades but this just might change that. I have restored several Gen 1 Bronco's in the past and loved them. Simple and utilitarian and built way stouter than the Jeep CJ's of the day. Now if you find one for sale even the worst pile of rusty junk is a small fortune. I at least will have to go to the Ford dealership to have a look at a new one.

Curse you Nikki! :mrgreen:
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:11 am

Very sad to hear of Grant Imahara's passing, he was a fixture on Mythbusters .

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:52 pm

Very sad indeed. According to the news, he was just 49...
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion