HELP! New window installation.

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:21 am

HELP! New window installation.

I got all new glass cut and went to put doors back together and I'm very puzzled. I had to mix and match parts from 4 different doors to make 2 good ones. The set off my 54 R and the set off my 51 L parts truck. Here's my issue... I have FOUR lower window tracks and THREE are identical and ONE is reversed!? I was a fool and didn't think I would have something like this come up and didn't pay close enough attention during disassembly so now I'm not sure how to reassemble the 2 I need. The worst part is the only one that's different is VERY rusted at the top of the channel the glass sits in to the point I'm not sure it will hold. The track has a flat-ish side and a c channel on the other with the round stock "triangle" for lack of better terms. Can I reverse the position of said triangle without clearance issues? Can I install regulator arm on either side of lower track? Did IH change how they put these in from L to R? I've heard of companies using left over parts on later model runs to burn up stock... I need to know what to do so I can get this project back on track. Help please! Thanks again for your expertise! P.S. I have pics on my phone I can send via dm if need be but the file is too big to attach with post.
Custom jobs require custom solutions

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: HELP! New window installation.

door parts.jpg
Early "R" door parts
I have no idea where you are located. If you were close or in Canada, I would give you a lower glass channel. Sending anything outside of Canada is a problem, for me. The US border service wants me to buy a very expensive permit, and I refuse.
I am including a picture that shows there were two different window sizes between the "L" and the later "R and "S" doors.
If you can download your pictures from your phone to your computer then resize then with "PAINT" you might be able to display them on this forum. I use "Paint" to resize my pictures from my Galaxy Samsung. I use 10%.
I am attaching a picture of an "R" crewcab which shows the two door glass sizes. Also attached is a parts catalogue picture of the door parts.. Are you asking about part #22?
Attachments
R130 ORRVILLE CREWCAB.jpg
two window sizes
R130 ORRVILLE CREWCAB.jpg (26.81 KiB) Viewed 4336 times
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Yes sir! Part # 22 is indeed what I'm referring to. Both trucks have identical doors which are the style of the front doors in your pic. After looking closer and talking with a friend I'm thinking the triangle runs in the window track to help stabilize the glass. I could be wrong and probably won't know till I reassemble the door post paint but I'm GUESSING it shouldn't matter if it runs in the front track or the rear as long as the regulator is on the proper side. Again... I'm just making an "un"educated here...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:14 pm

It has been a while since I did any Old IHC door assembly. I would have a good look at the lower window bracket and try to determine if the bracket is interchangeable from left to right. I suppose you might like to have the regulator travel in the center of the bracket, this would make it work for either side, I am thinking.
I do not remember why IHC thought it was necessary to have the triangle piece on the bracket. Is there a lower stop the triangle should come in contact with? I would not have a problem moving the "triangle" if it was necessary.
Electric life power windows is an option I used in my 1940 Ford. I built power windows from Ford parts for my R120. This was complicated, time consuming and a BFD. This is why if used ELECTRIC LIFE on the Ford. https://www.electric-life.com/
Install the door lock systems first and before you install the window tracks.
Attachments
R120 power windows and locks and AC.jpg
Ford power windows.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:30 pm

54R120,
The triangle needs to be toward the front of the door. It goes down to a removable stop in the bottom of the door. Also, if I remember right the piece with the groove for the regulator has an in and out. Seems like it was flanged a bit on one side. There is a left and right but maybe one of yours could be modified to work. You do need a good tight fit to the glass or it will probably come off if you have new tight channels.
good luck
Dennis

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:57 am

Dennis swWA wrote:54R120,
The triangle needs to be toward the front of the door. It goes down to a removable stop in the bottom of the door. Also, if I remember right the piece with the groove for the regulator has an in and out. Seems like it was flanged a bit on one side. There is a left and right but maybe one of yours could be modified to work. You do need a good tight fit to the glass or it will probably come off if you have new tight channels.
good luck
Dennis

54R120, after thinking about this a little more, the part about the triangle being the stop may not be true. I probably should have stayed out of this one. Sorry
Dennis

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks Dennis! Exactly the info I needed... not the info I WANTED necessarily but it is what it is lol. So basically I COULD flip one around and use it BUT I really shouldn't as it would have nothing stopping it from falling off the regulator arm and crashing into the door. It's been a while since I pulled doors apart but now that you pointed it out I do know the "removable stop" inside you're talking about. I guess the only options I have are to cut triangle off one and re-weld it on the other side of the track or pray I can find a different, correct one. Unfortunately I'm just outside of Green Bay Wisconsin so shipping from Canada poses a problem but I REALLY appreciate the offer. Guess I'll go post in the wanted section and see where that gets me. I'm running low on time to get this old girl going so I don't know what route I'll have to take. I'll talk with my fabricator friend and see what he thinks about "Plan B" Thanks again guys! Once again helping out a rookie with a dream lol

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:42 am

In case you do not have books, here are on line copies. Hope the link works. Have fun
Dennis

http://www.hansenwebdesign.com/truck/fa ... nuals.html

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:39 pm

I think you can move the stop.
I have several doors in storage, two of them are easy to access. I will try and have a look this afternoon and have an answer by this evening.
I will have another look in the parts catalogue for a second parts number so we can determine if the lower glass channel is interchangeable, left to right.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:53 pm

OK, I found the glass lower channel in the parts catalogue. IHC list 762 29R91 for the left and 762 30R91 for the right.
More to follow.
Next

Return to L, R and S