V8 swap Gauges

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat May 02, 2020 11:35 pm

V8 swap Gauges

In case you haven't seen my other posts I put a 1980 Ford 302 in my 54 R-120. Search my posts to find the parts/mods we used to make it fit but now I'm to the point I want it all to work while looking as factory as possible. I want to use the original gauges but I don't know if they will work. My engine guys say the 302 has way more oil pressure than the SD 220 and will just peg my gauge out. I could be wrong but I think the temp gauge will work (please let me know if it won't) I'm obviously going 12v positive on the truck so I don't know what will/won't work. Electrical is NOT my strong point. I "phone a friend" for most of it so I want to make everything as simple as possible for myself in the future. Already have the GM one wire alternator, got rid of the stupid Ford firewall mounted brain box and external coil with so much unnecessary wiring and got a HEI distributor with 3 wires IF I put a tach in. I think Amp gauge will work without much modification besides reversing polarities but that is only speculation on my part. IF I understand how it works it only measures draw not output like a volt gauge and shouldn't care if it's 6 or 12, positive or negative as long as it completes the circuit and everything runs through it to be measured. Fuel Gauge is a topic for another post as well as the speedo. These are future battles and not on my near horizon yet. I'm laying mud down and fitting mechanical while it dries then sanding/shaping, rinse and repeat. All for now and thanks again for reading and even more for responding!
Custom jobs require custom solutions

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 03, 2020 6:20 am

Re: V8 swap Gauges

If the truck was 6 volt put a 12 to 6 volt solid state (not a simple resistor) reducer before the fuel, temp, and oil pressure gauge. Ammeter doesn't care about voltage but does care about amps. a 30 amp gauge will not handle a 60 amp charging system.
Your Ford shouldn't have much more oil pressure than the IHC, below 45 psi so no changes needed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 03, 2020 7:19 am

Not the cheapest way to go, but another option is something like this-

http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerce.c ... rd-series/

The speedometer with 4-guage unit looks the most like stock.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 03, 2020 7:34 am

I installed NVU Woodward Series gages in my truck, however, I added a tach and the arrangement I got had two large gages with three functions each. They fit in the original openings, but the hole size needed to be reduced a little. (A thin crescent shaped stipe of metal was welded in)

Another FYI route to take is having the original set of gages updated (and renewed) by any of several gage companies to accommodate your new conditions. Google gage renewals and you can find out particulars. (Google can be your best buddy during your work on your truck.) It would require you to send them off and I suspect will not be cheap.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 03, 2020 3:07 pm

There are a few good options for replacement gauges. My favorite go-to has been AUTOMETER. Autometer offer their QUAD GAUGE sets for that vintage truck dashboard.
Back in 1990, I chose Stewart Warner. https://www.stewartwarner.com/products/gauges/ This was a time in the SW history where they were having problems with quality and reliability. I was told their problems started when they moved manufacturing to Mexico. The SW representative told me that SW was returning much of their production to USA.
I have to give SW credit for being responsible for the problems. Over a decade, I had to replace every SW gauge one or more times. There was never a moment of hesitation or questioning my request for warranty replacement.

https://www.autometer.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQ ... lsrc=aw.ds
Attachments
R120 dash SW.jpg
Stewart Warner gauges
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 04, 2020 11:47 am

I used these, along with their wiring harness. They fit perfectly, and i was pleased with the wiring process

https://www.ezwiring.com/product-page/5 ... ical-gauge

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 12, 2020 10:08 am

It may be a moot point now, but in case anyone was curious, here is a photo of the NVU Woodward series gages that went into my truck.
Attachments
3EAA1CD4-797C-4C32-95FC-BD9A39977FE8.jpeg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 12, 2020 3:08 pm

WEW51L110 wrote:It may be a moot point now, but in case anyone was curious, here is a photo of the NVU Woodward series gages that went into my truck.

The red needles and the red i are great!
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Don't wish to change the subject....but that steering wheel, love the centre badge. Where/how did you make or get that? Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 12, 2020 7:53 pm

The steering wheel is from Flaming River, Navigator model with leather wrapped wheel. Flaming River sent their logo piece to go in the center, but it just didn’t suit me to put it in. I reproduced an IH logo and drew a circle around it. My youngest son knew of a place on the internet that reproduces all kinds of car logos and I suspect other logos as well. My son sent the logo I made to the guy in, I think, New Jersey. After a couple of back and forths to get the background color correct and the diameter just right, I received what you see there and put it in the wheel vacant space. It is made of vinyl and is “sticky backed”. It’s been 6 years since we did that and as best I recall it was $65. A “ one of a kind”.
Next

Return to L, R and S Build-Off