Spare tire carrier

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Spare tire carrier

My parts truck had the upper bracket for the spare tire carrier under the bed. That was all it had, though. I have added that to my truck but I need to make or find from a wrecker the lower piece or a similar one. So far I only found one picture of it on here. Does anyone have a few pictures of the lower part and how it holds the tire up? The type of bolts to hang it? Here is a pic of the part I have.
Thanks.
Attachments
tire rack.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Re: Spare tire carrier

I Have never seen a complete spare tire carrier. They were often torched off and scraped because the carrier got in the way of a hitch installation. I am including a parts book picture for the L&R trucks tire carrier.
Another good/better idea is to go to your favorite Dodge 1500 wrecker/recycler and buy a tire lift winch. These winches mount under the box and have a cable lift to raise and hold the spare tire. The spare tire can be raised and lowered without anyone crawling under the truck.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=spare+ti ... 13&bih=667
Attachments
SPARE TIRE CARRIER.jpg
L R spare tire holder.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:27 am

Yes, the modern crank winch winch type are great, that's probably what I will do. thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:10 pm

I believe I have an original spare tire carrier on my KB2. i will need to look at whzt is there and get you a picture. From what I have been told they are pretty rare to find or at least not real common to. find. I am not sure if they were optional or if people just took them off.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:55 pm

my 49 panel has it intact, I'll take some pics, Panel used same frame as pick up so it is the same set up
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:09 pm

Thanks, if I could see what shape it is I could probably find something in a wrecker that is close. Or just go the winch style. I did find one picture on here but it did not show the profile. It was just a top view.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:57 pm

I have a spare tire holder that I took off my 47 KB2. Its a single bar with a bolt on one end. The previous owner of my truck put huge tires on it.
So, taking the spare out from under the truck was a physical work out. I would like to get a bed side mounted carrier for mine.

Seymour

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:57 pm

I have bought 5 or 6 parts trucks these past couple of years and I finally found a spare tire holder in a stash of free parts (free but I had to drive into the mountains a state away). I will get some pictures / measurements. Jacob Chapin

Return to K and KB