Fuel/ Gas Tanks

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:01 pm

Fuel/ Gas Tanks

I have been cleaning my very rusty gas tank trying to save it. I cut out the really bad rust. filled it with hardware and rotated it for hours. Also took the die grinder to the innards. It has allot of pinholes that i have been working on brazing but there are allot. Were not sure if coating it will be worth it. It has allot of thin spots.

IMG_9301.JPG
old tank

IMG_9296.JPG
Big hole

IMG_9299.JPG
Inside rust

I have come across someone manufacturing new tanks that are a direct fit replacement from aluminum. Binderboneyard is having them made and they look very nice. $650 is for a new one i think. I might go this route if i dont just put some cheap tank in the bed.

IMG_9370.jpg

IMG_9369.jpg
new tank

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:40 pm

Re: Fuel/ Gas Tanks

If i was in need of a tank, I would buy one. I am assuming it fits. Or I would prefer to see a 53 to 55 ford tank side buy side with the IH tank. But I'm not in the hobby anymore.
The one guy used a ford plastic one but never posted pictures. He has not been on in a long time.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4990&p=37377#p37377

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:59 pm

that poly Ferd tank is $400 less than the repop steel one,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:01 pm

If it were me I'd go for the Ford tank. The price difference is worth taking a couple of hours worth of work to get it fitted properly.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:20 pm

This is what I did for my R120 and my L110. I fitted a 1990 Chevy Van fuel tank between the frame rails. This will take some fabrication, but, it is not difficult.
The frame will need a replacement cross-member. I added a trailer hitch for the extra frame stiffening and cross-member.
The install took about an hour.
I tried to find the "L" fuel tank on the Binder Boneyard site. Does anyone have the link?
Attachments
FUEL TANK AND REESE HITCH.jpg
tank and Reese Hitch
FUEL TANK LEFT SIDE.jpg
FUEL TANK FILLER LOCATION.jpg
FUEL TANK 1.jpg
L110
fuel tank 1990 Chevy van.jpg
R120 after 225,000 miles
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:23 pm

I have seen his adds on ebay motors.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:23 pm

I had multiple leaks in my R-112 fuel tank, made attempts to fix it myself, all futile. Talk about frustration !!!!!!!!!!! Finally took it to the guy who had the franchise for sealing them ( help me out here with the name, guys: It's a nationwide outfit, been around for years ) . Cost me $ 350, worth EVERY PENNY. He told me it was guaranteed for as long as I owned the truck, got a certificate for the warranty, and it's good for ordinary gas or ethanol, either one. Never has leaked a drop. Cheaper than a custom-made metal tank, and, as the original tank, it of course fits perfectly, no need for modifications of any kind. I highly recommend them !!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:55 am

Gas Tank ReNu?
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:12 am

Just something to think about . I made one and I had a hard time getting my running board back on. Its very close under the cab with the tank and running board. I should have made it just a little smaller.

Dave

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:24 pm

oldihfan wrote:I had multiple leaks in my R-112 fuel tank, made attempts to fix it myself, all futile. Talk about frustration !!!!!!!!!!! Finally took it to the guy who had the franchise for sealing them ( help me out here with the name, guys: It's a nationwide outfit, been around for years ) . Cost me $ 350, worth EVERY PENNY. He told me it was guaranteed for as long as I owned the truck, got a certificate for the warranty, and it's good for ordinary gas or ethanol, either one. Never has leaked a drop. Cheaper than a custom-made metal tank, and, as the original tank, it of course fits perfectly, no need for modifications of any kind. I highly recommend them !!

I had the local Tank Renew do a couple for me with good results and a fair price.
Next

Return to L, R and S