Weather stripping around doors

The old and reliable.

JJW

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:04 am

Weather stripping around doors

Weatherstipping question. I've attached a picture of my old door surrond weatherstipping (on the top) and the new weatherstripping (on the bottom) supplied from oldinternationaltrucks.com. They are adamant that the one they sold me is the correct one but it doesn't even come close to fitting properly. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the proper fit?
Attachments
weatherstipping2.jpg
1949 KB2
I have a cunning plan sir.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:39 pm

Re: Weather stripping around doors

jjw,
You might take a look at 'restoration specialties', p/n 990052-WS. Hard to tell in their picture but looks more square like your original.
I bought their complete kit for my 'R' and was very satisfied. They even answered the phone when I called with a question.
Dennis

JJW

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:17 pm

Sounds like Southland is sending out door weather stripping that is for panel trucks not pickups. The panels' rubber is similar to KB6 and greater from what I've been told.
1949 KB2

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:36 pm

I was wondering the same as well, about to start on my doors also. Are they glued in? Pressure fit? I only see two holes where there would be clips or something...
Let us know which ones work out.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:14 pm

I used the square style from Restoration Specialities , it closely matched what was on the truck. A liberal bead of 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive in channel, flat side of rubber against channel, seam at bottom of door frame. I don't remember any clips on my truck.
Attachments
IMG_9792.jpg

JJW

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:33 am

Wylie wrote:I was wondering the same as well, about to start on my doors also. Are they glued in? Pressure fit? I only see two holes where there would be clips or something...
Let us know which ones work out.

My original one was pressure fit. It's just old and brittle now with a few cracks but still holding out lol.

I will let you know how then new one I got on eBay works out.
1949 KB2

JJW

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:34 am

MACGIVER wrote:I used the square style from Restoration Specialities , it closely matched what was on the truck. A liberal bead of 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive in channel, flat side of rubber against channel, seam at bottom of door frame. I don't remember any clips on my truck.

Thanks for the tip! Will definitely keep it in mind when the new rubber arrives.
1949 KB2

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:15 am

MACGIVER wrote:I used the square style from Restoration Specialities , it closely matched what was on the truck. A liberal bead of 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive in channel, flat side of rubber against channel, seam at bottom of door frame. I don't remember any clips on my truck.

Ah! Forgot how nice your truck was! Did you use the RS number that was mentioned earlier in post?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:02 am

The door rubber was part of the kit I purchased that had most all the rubber needed on the truck so without researching it I'm not sure if that number is specific to the correct style. I'm sure if you ask RS they will help since the two styles are so different it should be easy to differentiate. They are good people to work with and have done good by me in the past. Also forgot to mention that the 3M adhesive comes in black and yellow, I used the black so any excess isn't as visible.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:12 pm

Thanks, yeah I been finding a lot of stuff for truck with them and have been using the 3m stuff on my rubber. That stuff makes a mess with the strings...
Next

Return to K and KB