Little help with wiring.

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:20 pm

Little help with wiring.

Putting in my new harness and gauges in and the diagram is a little confusing... Main question is I have a new keyed starter switch which is 3 terminal. On and Start basically. Since I wouldn't be using the "start to the right" function, now I only have two terminal that are hot and from the diagram, looks like they have that switch powering panel light, coil, oil pressure.
Is the power coming from the "B" on the light switch? Does that wire go to the "Bat" terminal on switch along with panel light. Is that where the power is beginning, to then going to gauges?
Then the 2nd terminal is the coil and oil pressure gauge. Basically 2 on each terminal. Is two too many for each of the terminals? Do I need and 4 terminal to spread out power...?

Also do I need to add any fuses? All I see is one for horn? and wipers. And the old school breaker on Light switch. Do I even need any fuse (besides the 3 listed) since this truck is completely stock and all original with all new wiring etc. It should be fine as intended, correct?

Thanks, just need a extra brain on this...
KB Wiring.JPG

P.S. Edit... Also I found an error in either the service manual or the owners manual. On the diagram "light" switch, on panel. "H" and "S" are switched? SM says "H" is brake light switch and "S" is Headlights. But OM says "S" is stop light switch and "H" is head lights...? So is the stop light at bottom of breaker or is headlights? Make sense that S is stop and h is headlights no?
DSC_0250-min.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:42 pm

Re: Little help with wiring.

You are pretty much on the right track. The ignition switch is fed off the light switch so yes, the wire from light switch would go to the "Bat" terminal on the ignition switch along with the panel lights. The panel lights will work with the key off, so don't forget to turn them off when not using them. The second terminal will power the gauges(I believe it goes to the fuel gauge first then jumps to the oil and temp) and coil. No problem with two wires on each of the ignition switch terminals. There's nothing left to fuse unless you have a heater so you would need an inline fuse for that, and any other load you add like a radio, foglights, etc.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Yep, looks like the first diagram in your post is labeled (H and S) differently but if you follow the schematic lines they are both the same. In any event, the stoplight switch should be powered all the time, the headlights only when the switch is pulled in the proper position.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:16 pm

Awesome thank you! I was so in to the miss labeling didn't even notice they were the same, Durr...
Yeah no other accessories, do have a heater, but I was going to mount it for looks (no plumbing).
Perfect, back to work! Thanks again.

Return to K and KB