Super capacitor jumpstarter

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:51 pm

Super capacitor jumpstarter

I'm looking for a recommendation for a GOOD supercapacitor jumpstarter. Most I see have at most 8 ga cables, which in no way supply the current they claim. I'd rather spend more money and get something that lasts. It is for my wife, when I'm on the road, so weight is a factor.
Anyone have "shop or tow truck experience" with a brand and/or model?

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Re: Super capacitor jumpstarter

I've been using an Antigravity XP-10 lithium type for years. As long as whatever you are trying to start normally starts easily, it works fine. I tried starting a small diesel tractor that was fussy about starting in the cold, at about 0 degrees, and the extended cranking required melted the clamps.

It started my Dodge with a cummins fine though but it normally starts in about half a crank no matter the temp.

I carried mine with me when I was driving a tow truck as it was much more compact to lug around than the big lead acid type that the company owned.
-Joe
'54 R112

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:18 pm

I'm partial to the supercapacitor types for the weight. The whole reason is for wife to be able to deal with when I'm on the road.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:40 pm

I am surprised to see you, CB89, ask for help on this subject. I thought you had that all figured out with the start system on you OTR truck.
I have seen some chatter on The Garage Journal Forum on this subject. Google must have all of the information you seek. Maybe asking one of the builder/suppliers of this stuff could help.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:04 pm

On the semi, I have no questions, but for the misses to use when I'm on the road, I would like someone who has some time in with them. So much is claimed, and as I said 8 ga wires with a claim of 600 amps doesn't add up.
So much that is sold today is junk, they just want to make the 1st sale, they don't count or expect repeat customers. So claim anything to make the sale, and the rest be damned.
If your looking for a unit to run you truck with, I can give 1st hand knowledge and I have several year in with the one I have.
I hope to find something as well made for my wife to have and carry to the car if it will not start at home.
I have a set of 0 ga cables in the boot for trouble on the road, and she has already used them to help others.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:56 pm

My 2 cents.
I don't know how the lite weight ones work, I have a mac jumper thing when I'm out of town. I have had these guys redo my snap on and dewalt impact batteries. They have lasted a long time. I think its the same type batteries????
I think there nation wide.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/cha ... p-starters

Return to Non-IH discussion