Headlight retaining ring

The old and reliable.

JJW

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:11 am

Headlight retaining ring

Anybody know of a place to source a replacement retaining ring? (Not the exterior bezel). One of mine has become very brittle at the screw locations. I'm wondering if any standard 7" headlight retaining ring can be used?
1949 KB2
I have a cunning plan sir.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:54 am

Re: Headlight retaining ring

JJW wrote:Anybody know of a place to source a replacement retaining ring? (Not the exterior bezel). One of mine has become very brittle at the screw locations. I'm wondering if any standard 7" headlight retaining ring can be used?

There are always some that appear on Ebay. What I know is that the IH retaining ring is deeper that a standard 7" ring that are readily available at even auto parts stores. I think the reason is that the headlight protrudes a fair amount more that most past the pot metal trim ring because of the way the original bucket is made. I actually purchased new buckets and trim rings because of the headlight protruding effect. I am now using a standard thin trim ring and my headlight bulbs do not protrude as much as original because my new buckets allow the headlight to sit back farther in the bucket than the original bucket allowed. I didn't like the bug eye effect.
Here are some GM rings that appear to be deep like the IH but I don't know if the screw placement is the same. Cheap enough for a test. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-75-GM-Headlamp-Bulb-Retaining-Ring-7-Style-GM-5950248-Each/330895062050?hash=item4d0ae1f422:g:CmIAAOSwKb1bSMtJ
Bob

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:52 pm

jjw, I assume you must have a K/KB so these may or may not work for you but I replaced the ones on my R series truck with some from 'Chevs of the 40's' that were perfect. p/n 924534, $9.50 ea. I am local to them so that made it easy to match up. Might be worth a shot.
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:31 pm

Try this. Place one of the retainer rings on a blank sheet of white paper. Spray some paint over the ring and this will leave a picture of the ring. Measure between the mounting tabs and write the measurements on the paper. Take a picture with your cell phone and email the picture to the seller.
IIRC the retaining rings for my 1940 Ford are the same as those of the Old IHC pickups. I you are not able to get retaining rings that are deep enough to reach the inner mounting structure, the narrow retaining rings will work with longer screws.
Maybe you should get two replacements. The remaining ring will likely fail because it is as old.
Those clips that the adjuster screws go into are also available. There is likely the option of a modern nylon replacement.
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Aut ... e/15729961
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:35 pm

JJW wrote:Anybody know of a place to source a replacement retaining ring? (Not the exterior bezel). One of mine has become very brittle at the screw locations. I'm wondering if any standard 7" headlight retaining ring can be used?

I have a few,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:16 pm

Same here, I have two not so perfect but use-able.

JJW

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:30 am

bedrockjon wrote:

I have a few,

Thanks! Email sent.
1949 KB2

JJW

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:38 am

Wylie wrote:Same here, I have two not so perfect but use-able.

Thanks! Email sent.
1949 KB2

Return to K and KB