Anywhere to get a headliner? R112

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:25 am

Anywhere to get a headliner? R112

Ordered a headliner from travelallparts.com. Very basic. It came. Does not fit correctly and the holes don't line up. I'm not talking about 1/4" here or there. I'm talking by inches. They have absolutely no interest in working with me either. Have talked to multiple people and they will not return my calls. Very poor customer service. This has me hesitant to try and order another one online. A local upholstery shop said $300-$500 for something very basic. I'll pass on that.

Does anybody have any personal experience with getting a headliner that would fit an R112? I'm not looking for somebody to tell me about what they see online because I see they are out there but I don't trust it now. Likely many of them come from the same supplier. I'm looking for personal experiences.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:26 pm

Re: Anywhere to get a headliner? R112

I got my headliner from Travelall Parts also and you are right, the holes did not all line up. It is possible that all headliners are coming from the same place, 'Repops' in Arkansas. I read somewhere the reason was the cabs were not all drilled the same. Maybe maybe not.
I installed the ones that aligned loosely then drilled my cab to match the few holes that did not line up. 4 or 5 I think.
Have fun
Dennis

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:29 pm

nrowles,
I'll start out by saying that I do not have a source for a replacement headliner. I do believe that cardboard-like material is available in sheets if you want to take on the job on forming and fitting it yourself.

The headliner you bought was likely made by using an original as a pattern. There has been discussion from time to time about headliners on this site and I believe the consensus is that they were hand fit on the production line and the hole location varied from truck to truck. You would be better off getting one with no holes in it, and make holes to match. If you are not concerned about originality, others have used plastic sheet, which doesn't absorb moisture and holds its shape.

Unfortunately, you are not the first to have issues with travelallparts.com's customer service. They are regarded by many as a supplier of last resort.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:46 pm

In addition to the holes not lining up it was not cut properly. It has a huge gap at the front but fits everywhere else.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:36 pm

A member here was kind enough to make a pattern for me from an original headliner. My struggle was finding the right stock to cut one out of. I got impatient and used the pattern on a piece of cardboard from a refrigerator box and painted it black. 6 mos. later it's still up and I'm still liking it! :mrgreen: I may not do anything thing else for some time to come.

If push comes to shove I can mail you a copy of my pattern. I'd also have a few hints on making it and installing it.
56 S120 4x4,

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:45 pm

Southland International sells restoration parts for your truck & others. Their prices are higher thou & in Lethbridge Alberta, which might be an issue for you. I have known the owner for years, he is a diehard IH guy thru & thru. Southland wants $119 Cdn/$91 USD for the headliner, no idea if the part came from the same place travelall parts did. Travelall price is a lot less on the headliner, $65 Cdn/$50 USD. I have dealt with their sister business farmall parts, I will never buy from them again & gladly over pay with anyone else!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:04 pm

I agree with your view of Travelall.com. High prices and extreme indifference to customer concerns. What I did on my KB5 and what I am going to do on my KB3 is order the cheapest one I can find and drill holes in the metal wherever the holes are in the headliner I get.- Dan

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:21 pm

I went thru the same thing,
on my L-112 you could see grease pen marks on the truck where the production worker marked to drill holes,
the repop one I got didn't work for a panel anyway, I think I made a template of it and added 4 inches to the back on my template,,
I sold the repop for super cheap on ePay
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:07 pm

Stop whining and make your own door and headliner panels. I am in my 70s and I can do this, what is your excuse?
I bought two 48"X96" ABS plastic .125" sheets from SABIC POLYMER SOLUTIONS. Google them for a location near to where you live. The ABS plastic has a textured side and a smooth side. Don't try and cut the ABS. Cut a score line with an OLFA knife then snap the plastic,
I made the 9 interior panels for my 1940 Ford and the 4 trunk panels then upholstered them all with leather. The buffalo hide leather was several thousand dollars. At over $2000 for the German square weave wool carpet, I did not want any mistakes.
This may require a person to take themselves out of their comfort zone. If a person cannot figure this out, it might be time to collect spoons and sell the IHC.
Start with a paper template then transfer the template to a piece of cardboard. Check your fit before you transfer to the final material.
Attachments
TRANSFER PINS.jpg
I made these transfer pins to make locating the holes easy. the pins fir into the OEM holes and the pointy part transfers a mark to the ABS.
passenger carpet and reproduction stainless molding and seal.jpg
German wool carpet
LF DOOR FIRST FIT-UP.jpg
LF door
first fit-up 2.jpg
DRIVERS DOOR 2.jpg
driver's door
1934 V8 trim.jpg
back door
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:21 am

Plastic in my old Binder? I don't think so.
56 S120 4x4,
Next

Return to L, R and S