stock or hotrod

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:20 am

stock or hotrod

Hi. I am new to this site after recently picking up a 49 kb-1 from the original family who bought it new. Truck is in fantastic shape, but is tired mechanically. I have been looking for parts and am shocked at what little is available. I had wanted to keep this truck 100% stock, but if I cant find parts, I may have no choice but to hotrod the truck, which isn't my first choice for a truck this original and solid. Any thoughts on stock versus hotrod, and can anyone help with parts, and someone who can rebuild the grd 214 engine. thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:55 am

Re: stock or hotrod

Where are you located?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:09 am

Parts should be no problem, many pull good running gear to hot rod.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:14 am

Hi
I am in southern Quebec (Hudson, que) near the Ontario border. Near Ottawa and cornwall, ontario

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:24 pm

there are a few pages on FB dedicated to Internationals, there is one based out of Eastern Canada, good running GRD motors come up a lot,

rebuilding one can be very expensive, but a good used one can be very cheap,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:44 am

What is FB and how do I reach them?

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:11 am

And if anyone has a good running green diamond 6 for sale, I am a buyer. Would really like to preserve this truck as-is. If I cant locate a green diamond, I will end up putting a v8 in like everyone else, but I would prefer not to.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:18 am

I think it depends on if you are being honest with yourself. If you truely want a stock truck, then it will be worth the search for a running GRD, and it shouldn't be too hard to find.
If you want a running moving truck and don't care what powers it, there are far better and easyer installs than a V8. The Silver Diamond (small IHC) OHV six is as close as "bolt in" as you will find according to those that have done it. Otherwise the inlines from AMC, FORD, CHevy and even Dodge make a better and easier choice than a V8. All of the modern inlines offer the easy possibility of an auto trans if that is your likeing.
If you are looking for a excuse to stuff a V8 under the hood, are prepared for all the fabrication and problems that arise from such a swap, be honest with yourself. You don't need, nor likely will receive our "permission", but really all you need is yours, you own the truck.
Before he gets a chance to say it, one person here will recommend the Cummins 4bt.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks for the sound advice
My first choice is to keep the truck stock. I will need a replacement grd-214 or someone to rebuild mine. I currently cant find either. Neither a replacement motor, nor someone who can rebuild the original engine.
If I go to the trouble and expense of going to a different motor, then it may as well be a v8. Problem is when you modify a vehicle, where do you stop? Do you replace the springs with air bags? and the front cross member with a mustang unit? etc, etc.
I really prefer to keep it 100% stock, if anyone can point me in the direction of a good used GRD, or a rebuilder in Canada. The only variation from stock will probably be 12 volt upgrade, depending on the feedback I get on that subject

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:53 am

Any GRD (displacement doesn't matter) can bolt inplace of your 214. even an earlier HD engine will fit.
If this is your 1st old vehicle, you need to know that you'll not likely find parts all within a 50 mile radius of your home, but the search and end result can be quite rewarding.
Next

Return to K and KB