RC-160 information and research

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:38 pm

Re: RC-160 information and research

I have a couple pieces of fender for these trucks if anyone is interested. I would rather not bother with shipping and they probably aren't worth the cost anyway, but if you want to pick up from me in north central PA some time or at Hershey next week I would be happy to get rid of them.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:29 pm

First attempt at photos didn't work last night. I'll try this again.
RC Fender small.jpg

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:45 pm

Dan Cornett wrote:I'm generally lurking around reading a lot. I don't post a lot. I have a 54 RC-160 and a 55 RC-180. I haven't done a lot with these trucks other than gather parts. I'm working on another truck now and when I get a little more done on it, I'll start on the two RC's. Here's a few pictures and if you have questions, ask away.

Howdy Dan! I didn't know you used this forum... I'm mostly reading around too.
I haven't been able to find another one since i sold mine.

Considering you mentioned you don't do a lot with your RCs would you be partial to selling one? Ofc I wouldn't be able to do a come-up until nicer weather after spring or so. Would love to see your collection!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Greg the Egg wrote:Hi Fellas,
I must say my search for a truck has taken me in many many directions. Within the past year I have learned more and more about Medium duty new and vintage trucks from all walks of life. I have looked at Brockway, REO, Freightliner, WHITE, Ford, and of course International Loadstar, Cargostar, R, and KB series. My friends are astounded at how much crazy information I have gleaned from the web about trucks.

Well, in my research I have come across the International RC-160, 185.. series of truck. It is in my best guess IH's first attempt at a cabover- or something of that sort. A bit of an ugly duckling- one could either love it or hate it. Me personally? I think I have found the truck that perfectly embodies my personality...slow, sturdy, and with a bulbous protrusion as a gut. LOL. I think this truck is just awesome!

I have done some research around the web and have found less about it then some of the other models. Also it seems there is a L series IH with similar looks. It looks like IH used the R and L cabs and perched them on top of a platform elevating them far above and over the engines. Is that what they did? Can any L or R cab be adapted or simply plugged into this setup? There also seems to be a few versions. Some are badged just as R series others have the RC. Within these there exists the RC160, the RC180, RC185 and are there more? More specifically more with different engines- diesel, and brake options such as air?

Anyone out there have any more sources for information. Online? Books? Etc for these RC trucks? Many Thanks Greg the Egg

I believe IHs first attempt at the COE was the D series in 37'? http://forums.aths.org/InstantForum2010/Uploads/Images/9fd7f1b4-cdab-459e-8a3a-4f01.jpg

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Kyle, Good to hear from you. The LC,RC, and SC series cabovers are getting hard to find at a reasonable price. Most you see advertised now are in the mid west. Problem is you have to go get them or ship them. I've already got two people promised first and second dibs on my trucks. Since one is a runner, they want to clearcoat it. The other one needs an engine and they want to drop a 304 v-8 in it. I have an engine but I'm not sure I can make it work. If I were wanting to get a cabover or cab forward truck, I would probably recommend you get a Cargo Star. Parts are still around and the cab tilts for ease of Maintenance. You can still find a lot of cargo star fire trucks around, low miles and no rust. Good to hear from you and good luck with your search.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi Dan and all. Happy Holidays. The break in the work action has gotten me some time to contemplate the truck search more. Since I visited you all last I have boned up on more IH history and done tons of research on the Cargostar and RC/LC cab forward trucks. I agree they are indeed hard to locate here in the Northeast and Yes many are till available out west but getting them here for the right sum is indeed the issue.

My need for the truck has changed a bit as I have dug and replaced the actual line feeding our dug well to the jet pump and well bottom. As it turns out the line was rusted and full of holes causing us to not be able to maintain a suction, also the guy that performed the jet pump install did a poor job and caused the pump sensor to fail as well. I have remidied all of this and the water situation for now is consistent, well filtered, and holding up nicely!

All that said- and with all the research I have done I am definitely STILL very much in love with the International line of Cabover trucks. I like the practicality of parts and availability of differing engines in the Cargostar, but really love the lines and simplicity of the LC/RC cabovers.

Price and availability are the major factors in the search, even the cargo's are hard to find. One guy wants 15,000 for an LC in Florida unrestored! Holy cow! Right now I'm taking my time and gathering up funds, and more information on these rigs. Anyone out there in NY or in the Northeast part of the good ol USA have an RC/LC Cab forward rig I can just take a look at, maybe set in the seat and take a gander at for kicks? That may be helpful.

Thanks again for all the great advice and suggestions, Greg Egg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:40 am

Greg, the suggestion I have may not be practical immediately, but you need to continue your research of these trucks at a truck show. The Antique Truck Club of America website may be a starting point to find one close enough to your location. Vintage Trucks of Florida is a chapter of the ATCA and will be having their annual show in Leesburg, Florida Feb. 13, 14, 15. I know that’s out of your area, but there will be other shows probably closer to your area when the weather is better. My point is, you need to visit some truck shows, talk to some owners (many owners show their best truck, but have others back home) and who knows, you may just come out an owner or at the very least get some leads on what you are looking for.
I normally attend the Leesburg show, but I will need to miss this year due to a medical procedure taking place the day before the show. I’ll still be recovering and not likely able to take my truck.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:36 am

Glad to hear you got your water system sorted out. I always thought that would be the most cost effective route to your problem. I couldn't understand a lack of water in upstate New York.
wanting a old truck is a powerful draw, I have succumbed on many occasions, They can be a lot of fun but almost never are a cost effective solution to a problem.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:52 pm

So heres my RC-185. It was my Christmas gift from my wife. I'm glad she is supportive of my interests. Were starting small! LOL. Merry Christmas guys! Greg.
Attachments
IMG_6190.jpg
1950's Tootsitoy RC185 truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:19 pm

So my advise would be to look into vintage truck magazine if it is still available , that's where I found my truck maybe 10 yrs ago . I asked the gentleman to send me a picture and he mailed me a Polaroid ,.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S