Virtual Front Porch

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:16 am

Re: Virtual Front Porch

https://youtu.be/oZ6UjZBlqJQ
I think this may be the best music album of all time. My four favorite Country Music Stars.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 am

I enjoy the Highwaymen, I own both albums and wish they had made another.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:12 pm

I was lucky enough to see Willie live 3 times, Johnny once and Kriss twice. Regretfully not Waylon.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:50 pm

My biggest concert was Rock of the Westies with Elton John. That was in the 1970s.
In the early 1960s I saw Wayne Newton I concert. I have the souvenir program from the show.. My wife took me to see Tina Turner.
I don't get out much, I guess.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:40 pm

My wife drags me, sometimes I go willingly, John Hiatt, Lyle Lovett, Guy Clark, Bruce Springsteen several times, John Melencamp and I'm sure I forgot a few. I think if I had to pick a favorite it would be John Hiatt, great talent and a lot of fun.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:22 pm

Best ever concert I saw was at a small hall in Concord NH. Arlo, Puesette-Dart (Sp? a local NE band) Don Henley. They had one show advertised and it sold-out (was a benefit concert) so they added a 2nd show after the 1st. I grabbed 3 tickets and asked a couple of friends. The 1st show started at 8pm, we got in the 2nd at 10.pm, they finished playing at 4 am! Those who got into the 2nd show really got our moneys worth.
I didn't get the two girls home till **** near 5 am. I thought for sure we'd ketch hell but didn't. The bands played their set, and then they all came out a jammed for a coupla of hours. No screaming kids, no not hearing the music, no typical concert junk, just good music for hours. I like live music but can't stand the typical concert scene.
I saw ELP, Tom Petty, Chicago Areosmith, and many others that I can't think of at the moment, but the three of us sitting in that small hall (couldn't have seat more than 150 if that)! It will be forever my best concert.
I enjoy the Highwaymen as well, but they came later. Kris is an interesting guy, lived 3 or more lives, from Airforce, actor, studio rat, songwriter, any one of which would be enough in itself.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:00 am

CB, I agree that the small venues are the best, in the late 70's Kris and Rita were booked for 2 concerts at a small college hall in St. Paul. We had tickets to the 1st show at 7:00pm. The 2nd show was scheduled for 9:30pm. The band showed up for the 1st show at 9:pm, set up with a bottle of Jack Daniels on every amp, and played till 11:15pm. When we walked out there were a lot of 2nd show ticket holders very p.o.'ed. I have no idea when that show got done. The older I get the more large venues suck, I don't find it enjoyable to have to stand for 2 hours to see when I have paid big bucks for a seat. Screaming dancers are also an irritant, we left the John Mellencamp concert about an hour in, call me a curmudgeon, I probably won't hear you anyway.

Regret not ever seeing Waylon live, or Clifton Chenier, Buckwheat Zydeco, or Boozoo Chavis. I did get to see George Jones, Tanya Tucker, Hank Jr., Doug Kershaw, and Bob Seeger. Memory is not what it used to be, neither is my hearing, I may think of a few more, thanks for jogging it nikki.

On my bucket list is a local (Duluth MN) artist Charley Parr, I have a couple of his cd's and really like him.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:15 pm

I lucked out and got to see B.B. King at a fairly small venue in Ft. Worth before he died. Absolutely amazing performer even in his old age.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:44 pm

I've met Arlo several times to talk to plus his son and daughter. He used to come to Taos (pop. 4,000) every few years and always played a small club. There were a lot of communes here in the 60's and 70's so he has an affinity for the place. I have also worked as a stage hand from time to time and got to meet a lot of performers and enjoy their music close up.

I probably shouldn't admit this here but I'm a Dead Head. Starting at age 16 in 1972 I stared going to Grateful Dead shows. I saw them all up and down the eastern seaboard then later out west when I moved to the Rockies in the mid seventies. Best Dead show I ever saw was at Red Rocks Amphitheater outside of Denver. I've probably seen close two 200 of their shows while Jerry Garcia was still alive. The bands not the same without him now and I've stopped going.

Best shows I've seen locally the past few years were Lucinda Williams, also Steve Earle , and at a 100 seat venue in town Joan Osbourne I was 5 feet away from her and she put on the same show with her band that she did a few nights later at a sold out arena in Denver. She stole my heart away!
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Binder Mike, thanks for reminding me about Steve Earle, I saw him at the Minnesota Zoo in 2011, he was opening act for John Hiatt, he was great.I also forgot about Joe Ely and Jimmy Vaughn and the amazing Thunderbirds.

No shame in being a Dead Head as far as I'm concerned. All genres have their great ones.

It must have been a treat to talk to Arlo and his offspring!
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion