1951 Metro- The Restoration Begins

The Greatest Van Ever Made!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:58 am

Re: 1951 Metro- The Restoration Begins

Palos Verdes Concours d'elegence used to be like Pebble Beach. The venue was on a golf course that overlooked the ocean, that was until Trump came along, bought the golf course and kicked them out. Now it was being held at an airport which was kind of cool. They put an airplane in the center of the class of cars with the cars circling around it. No chance of winning the "Chairman's Award" at this show, that was reserved for one of the planes.

I have to thank Brenda Priddy for not only for the cool shots of the truck, but for the nice write up in the Via Corsa magazine.

It's also cool when the announcer knows all about you when you drive up to receive your "First Place" ribbon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3W75f3k8DE
1955 BN2 Austin Healey 100M
1959 AN5 Austin Healey Sprite
The Original "Airport Racer"
1951 International Metro Step Van
Instagram- snapon.domenic

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:02 pm

When my R120 was fresh out of the shop, I used to take it to the company show and shine. Every year I would win one of the first place trophies.
The politics in a large company breeds a ton of malcontent and jealousy . A person from the training department filed a complaint suggesting my "R" should be banned so someone else could win. I left the "R" at home the next year and the person who complained stayed home.
The complaint suggested that an old truck, like my "R" should have been original. Modifications like Diesel power, 4X4 and AC, should make the truck ineligible to attend. BTW, I built the custom canopy.
I was kicked out of a, by invitation only, show and shine because of the Diesel. The person at the gate was sent on his way by the host who had asked me to attend.
This is two of a handful of offended persons who complained. I stopped going to car shows.
I am pleased that you have stayed with the program. My friend says, "No good deed will go unpunished."
Attachments
R120 in 1991 (2).jpg
At the company show and shine 1991
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:45 am

Oh I get a lot of haters, but you are going to get that anywhere I think. One of the biggest things about showing this truck is reconnecting with old Snap-on people I used to work with that I haven't seen in years. It's like a trip down memory lane, some good and some not so good, but those people really appreciate what I created. I've also met some of the nicest people and have made some good friends along the way.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:25 am

Congratulations on the awards. I'm sure that part of it is that the judges may be surprised by quality of the restoration underneath the Snap-On packaging. I mean, they don't just give Chairman's awards out on the handsomeness and charming personality of the owner ( well, that may have been what Nikki won with). Clearly you aren't looking to weasel your way in with a bunch of cool old Snap-On stuff wrapped around an OldIHC.org full of bullet holes and bondo.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:06 am

K Effective wrote: I mean, they don't just give Chairman's awards out on the handsomeness and charming personality of the owner.

It has the be the truck, because it's surely not one of those two!

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:40 am

Since they never really judged the truck, I decided to go back to the Muckenthaler Motor Festival. Once again they didn't judge the truck. The chief judge for my class was the Chairman of the Huntington Beach Concours d'Elegence. He said he didn't need to judge my truck and proceeded to tell the other judges all about the truck and what we did to it.

Probably one of the coolest shots I've seen of my truck was taken by the Muckenthaler Cultural Center as I was driving up to receive my "First Place" trophy. As far as I know, it is the only picture of a car posted on their website from any Motor Festival event.

As I said before, the Special Interest Class at these events are an eclectic group of cars. After receiving my trophy, they put us on one end of the lawn in a grouping. I was talking to some others car owners and this guy that owns a Ford GT, that was I my class, walks up to the truck, looks in and said "Oh, okay". I guess he thought that his quarter million dollar Ford GT should have gotten "First Place" until he actually looked at the truck and realized that it's a pretty cool little truck... if I do say so myself.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:22 am

Came across this article from the Grand National Roadster Show and thought I'd share. Some nice interior shots... Enjoy
https://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2018/0 ... n-van.html

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Ford GT should have gotten "First Place" until he actually looked at the truck and realized that it's a pretty cool little truck... if I do say so myself.

Not as pretty and cool as mine but very classy indeed .. :)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:43 pm

Vive la différence
The SnapOn Metro is so much more than a restored truck. The Metro and the owner deserve the recognition. This truck represents a moment in time and the personality of the owner.
I will post a picture or two of a local SnapOn truck. It is waiting for some love. No, I will not disclose the location.
Attachments
briggs metro.jpg
My METRO by 5th Gear.
Metro 2.jpeg
Metro 5.jpeg
Metro 4.jpeg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:21 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Vive la différence
The SnapOn Metro is so much more than a restored truck. The Metro and the owner deserve the recognition. This truck represents a moment in time and the personality of the owner.

Thank You, I appreciate that.
PreviousNext

Return to Metro