Question on door hinge.

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:15 pm

Question on door hinge.

Question is, does any of you guys, on your KB's have a slight dent here in the picture, for the door hinge. Mine, I thought was other owner slight door hit, or pushed in a bit. When doing body work I pulled the inward bend back out prob, 1/8" to match body line. Problem now when going back to put hings in the hole are off and hinge need to be pushed in to match holes... Where the hing is pinned it's touching the body.
Just wondering if this was IHC slapping doors on and the dent by damned kinda thing. Just wondering if I would be safe hollowing out the body holes in jam to make the hole line up without re-denting the freshly painted body. And would the door fit goofy now the hing is out a bit vs in? Or is there some room to move, giving this is a older truck and not perfect seal...
DSC_0065-min.JPG

DSC_0068-min.JPG

DSC_0067-min.JPG
Attachments
DSC_0068-min.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Re: Question on door hinge.

No indentation on mine. Guess I got lucky. I didn't split the hinge at the pin and reassembled to the marks the mounting bolt washers had made originally. I don't see why you couldn't elongate the holes , though it may wack out your alignment and I'm not sure you could compensate on the door side of the hinge. You would have to try it and see. I couldn't find any alignment procedure for the doors in the service manual either. If all else fails I would grind a little relief on the hinge to allow for clearance. It's pretty meaty there and it shouldn't affect integrity. I'd rather repaint the hinge than mess with that beautiful paint job!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:29 pm

Yep that's was I was thinking too. There is some meat there on the back, and it's on the back side. Yeah no more painting I'm about painted out....
I get some pics when I have a little more on. It's is so nice now working with clean painted parts and stainless bolts everywhere. Looks awesome.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Sure does!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:09 pm

almost looks like the holes in the door jam were miss punched,
is that the same hinge going back in?

I ask because they changed length of hinge from inner to outer dimension some time mid production, and you can't mix and match, if truck had the longer hinges and now you are putting shorter hinge, holes would not line up,,,,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:05 pm

Good info, but yes, these are the originals that came off. Here's a pic before they were removed. If you zoom in you can see the slight concave curve behind hinge, right behind pin.. That is the area I straightened. Also that miss punched area you see is a 2nd layer of steel behind holes. Do you know what year that happened, this one is a 46.
DSC_4721-min.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:25 pm

that dent is from door being opened beyond it's extreme, most of the time the strap breaks, sometimes the rubber washer compresses or is gone and stop strap doesn't break,
when a hinge is hyper extended like that the metal in the pillar gets distorted too, probably why it's not lining up after you straightened outer metal but not the pillar metal
my suggestion is to take a long bar of stout metal same dimensions as hinge, drill and thread holes to match hinge, install it and see if it is at an angle should be 90 degrees more or less,
I would suggest then flex the bar to attempt to straighten the upright pillar if possible

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:58 pm

Great idea. Thank you. Smart. I going to come back to those... And do that. I did still have my door catches still attached btw. Maybe someone did a shoulder tackle to the door jam with the door open...??
Too handy working with the doors off, right now while I'm putting everything back together.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:35 pm

back then the hinges adjusted in and out to match body line and kind of adjust door up and down, but to raise bottom of door at rear of cab, body guys would put wood blocks in and force shut the door to bend pillar, and do like I stated to bend other way,
that's just how it was done,

my buddy backed his mom's car up with door open, it hit a bush and tweaked the door had no dents but hinges whacked way WAY out of line, wouldn't even come close to being able to close,
we limped to a body shop, the guy brought out a floor jack and a bunch of wooden wedges, he wrestled with the door for about 10 minutes, and it was perfect, his mom never knew it happened,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:10 am

Yeah I could totally see that back then. I feel like I may just have to work on the hinge. I'm afraid since it's all painted, if I try to bend that piece of upper pillar I may damage the paint. I pee my pants every time I loose a grip on a wrench near the paint..
I now know the importance of pre-fitting body pieces... It just all looked good ( to me) and body lines were good before restoration. That little bend on outside of body was just a 5 minute pry-bar fix and I just didn't think down the road enough on that one...First restoration, lesson learned for sure.

Return to K and KB