WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:35 pm

Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

I inherited this socket set from my Father. It is a Canadian made DURABLE. My dad bought this set in 1938. The set is 81 years old and all of the pieces are still in the original box. There are a few unusual pieces in the set. One is an adjustable drive for lapping valves.
The set includes a set of 8 point sockets for square nuts. The ratchet works only in one way. The square drive must be pushed through to reverse the drive.
Dad was not the kind of person who would approve keeping a bunch of his stuff unless someone had a use for the stuff.
I donated a bunch of Dad's tools to HABIT so others can give them value by using them.
Attachments
IMG_20180310_1710330[1].jpg
DURABLE 8.jpg
DURABLE 7.jpg
DURABLE 5.jpg
DURABLE 1.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:52 pm

Gotta love these old tools! My Dad had an old craftsman 1/2" socket set. It was made back when they blued the tools instead of chrome plating them. My Dad is long gone now. I still have some of his old tools, but don't know what happened to that old socket set.
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Hey Nikki,
I see you have some square nut sockets in the pics, I still have some from my pops too.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:33 pm

My Dad had a creative mind. One time he took on a contract to cut up a bunch of surplus steel plate for a fabrication shop. This was just after WW2. The drive system came from what Dad called a gun turret. Dad had some railroad car like wheels turned, at a local machine shop, for the 32 volt DC power unit. All four wheels are driven. The now carrier held an oxygen/acetylene counter balanced cutting torch and drove in a straight line on a length of 4 inch steel channel. If I remember correctly, Dad made this tool from war surplus pieces he bought at Princess Auto.
Princess Auto supplied a heavy duty generator that Dad converted into a PTO driven welder. Dad built a couple heavy duty shop screw clamps from surplus steam tractor parts and PA surplus.
Dad had two useless brothers. Dad often referred to the two of them as being as useless at tits on a boar. Out of meanness and to bug my Dad, the two useless brothers painted NIKKINUTSHOP on Dad's shop. I took Nikkinutshop as my own. Dad said we should not raise family problems. My uncles were afraid to confront me because I was a frightening ball of fury and they dared not push their luck. I was 6'2" in grade 8 and 210 pounds and off-the-hook, so to speak.
Dad had me in his shop welding before I started grade one. Dad had two gasoline motor driven welders. One had a Ford Flathead V8 and the other had a Dodge straight 6. I stated grade one with glasses to correct my astigmatism.
Princess Auto used to sell lots of war surplus. The company is named Princess from the street the original store was on, in Winnipeg.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/?gclid= ... RkQAvD_BwE
Attachments
torch carrier.jpg
shop built cutting torch carrier.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:17 am

You certainly are a chip off the old block. Seeing tooling created from scrap like that I get a better picture into how you created many of the features of your 40 Ford and IH trucks. I look forward to the finished IHC crew cab project thread, and further refinements of your skills/imagination

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Here is an interesting tool my Dad made. It is used to crimp the end of HVAC galvanized sheetmetal air pipe. The parts are out of a Small Block Chevy oilpump.
Attachments
HOME-MADE PIPE CRIMPER SBC OILPUMP GEARS.jpg
sheetmetal pipe crimper

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:58 pm

I still have most of the Indestro socket set my dad bought way back in the fifties. The ratchet failed and he replaced it with an SK Wayne which has been a good one. Princess Auto is a name well known here in Canada. Not necessarily the highest quality nowadays but they started out years ago selling a lot of military surplus stuff. I'm talking complete vehicles. I've got a few of their old catalogues.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:03 am

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:22 pm

These are homemade tools from my toolbox. These tools are in regular service.
Some of the dividers and sliding bevel gauge tools were made in high school metal shop. Some of the others others were home projects to fill time and need.
The small mill vise was made with matched pieces of steel and held together with machine screws and locating pins.
Attachments
VICE HOME MADE 1.jpg
home made vise
OLD TOOLS HOME MADE.jpg
HOME MADE TOOLS

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:05 pm

Clico temporary fasteners are my best new friends.
https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivets/cle ... de-grips#1
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion