a car you don't see often

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:55 pm

a car you don't see often

Today I was at the local hospital and saw of all things a Chevy Chevette , I was surprised to see one of those old econo-boxs still on the road, but wait! it had a diesel medallion on the back. Even in the 80's when Chevettes were everywhere, a diesel one was rare, I don't ever remember one even when I worked in the dealership.
Seeing one of those always make my back hurt. I can still to this day remember the factory procedure for changing a starter on one with PS/PB and A/C. 1st instruction: from inside the car remove steering column! It doesn't get much better from that point on.
I can only imagine what it would be with the ultra rare diesel!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:24 pm

Re: a car you don't see often

There used to be a CHEVETTE collector about 15 minutes from here. I was tempted to ask, "WHY?" He belonged to an ice racing club they called "Vetts on ice." This guy owned an ultra rare Chevette with a COSWORTH four cylinder gas engine. Well, that is what he told me. I was never interested in those cars, so I never followed up.
I just Googled Chevette to refresh my memory. I have to say, "Not a bad looking little car."
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:52 pm

From my memory, they needed timing belts at regular intervals, the alternator was mounted in rubber and if the ground wire was left off, would not charge, the Holly-Webber carb could be a little temperamental to get passed emissions test, but for an econo-box they were a fair car.
I rebuilt at least one stick trans and remember one rear axle that snapped ( they had a long input shaft kinda like a 1/2 torque tube).
Not kind to a 6'4" frame guy however!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:21 pm

I remember them as the competition to the Ford Pinto back in the "gas crunch" days. They never did much for me but I remember a few dragster versions with big block Chevy's in them, they were pretty impressive, wheelie bars and all. When those cars had their hay day I was driving a 65 Ford Econoline van that I could haul my bikes around in.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:49 pm

the Vega and Monza where more were more of the Pinto competitors, both of those has V -8 swapped in, the Chevette was too light and too small to fit a bigger engine under the hood.
I am not fond of them per se, I just worked on a bunch and haven't see one in years, mostly due to rust IIRC.
They had a small OHC 4 banger, I think Vauxhall designed engine IIRC.
being a monocqoc body with narrow strut towers, limits what can be fitted.
I know there was a Cosworth Vega made but I never heard of one in a Chevette.
The Monza had either the "Iron Duke" 4 or a V-6. The Monza was the Vega replacement. The Vega name being almost toxic after the disasterous aluminum block OHC 4.
The late 70's and early 80's were not a good time for the American makers.
Ford had the Festiva (sp?) and Dodge had the Omni, GM was looking for a small entry level econo-box to compete. The Pinto and Vega/ Monza were a little bigger and one step up.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:51 pm

I bought a 1970, 2002 BMW. Fantastic car in every way. A few years later, I got a 2002tii with the Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection.
Surprisingly, these bits of Bavarian perfection were not much more money than the other failures on the market.
My friend Horst still has his 2002tii.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:27 am

My Dad bought an Opel sedan in 1970, brand new, trading in a 1960 Mercedes Benz 220 sedan he bought while stationed in Germany. The MB was rusting badly already, and the Opel served very well until 1982, or so. We had a 1972 Opel GT he bought used to replace a late-60's VW Beetle that had also developed the Michigan cancer. I convinced a high school classmate we had swapped in a 327 small block into the GT- it was pretty peppy. Buick dealers here in the US sold Opel, but service was poor, and Dad used a local Italian mechanic. I remember an exotic, 50's era Ferrari V12 awaiting restoration at the shop for many years.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:29 am

More to the original post, tonight I passed a Studebaker Avanti on the highway, just north of South Bend, IN, where it was likely built.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Spotted around town the past few days, a bright yellow early 60's Corvan. It looks to be in good condition though not restored. I hope to see it somewhere parked with the owner around, I'd love to see it up close and get the back story on it. I haven'y seen one in many years.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:52 pm

I owned a 75 BMW 2002, it was a great car and one of the ones I wish I hadn't sold. I also owned a 70 Opel GT but it was from up north and was a rust bucket. I had no idea a car could be that rusty before I bought it.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion