WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:15 am

Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

While I was out and about this afternoon, I stopped at another CL seller and bought this VICTOR three jaw chuck. This chuck is a direct fit to my South Bend 16. The price was much less than a $100. This chuck is in very god condition. The South Bend is for sale. I will need the space for a MONARCH 16.
Attachments
MONARCH 16.jpg
PENDING
SOUTHBEND 16 X 120.jpg
FOR SALE
THREE JAW CHUCK $100.jpg
VICTOR
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:54 pm

Torque Wrenches and torque screw drivers
I have more than a dozen torque wrenches. Now that I am retired, I don't get to use them all like I used to.
My wife bought an unusual dial torque wrench at a swap-meet and surprised me with it at a December gift giving event. I took the information off the wrench and sent the serial number to the company who built the torque wrench. I got an email back in a day giving some history of the tool. The TW was made by them and sent to Pratt and Whitney in 1943. They were curious how the TW made it to Canada and a swap meet outside of Vancouver, BC. The mystery continues. I have the date of the build and the name of the guy who did the final assembly.
The Pratt and Whitney wrench is the fourth from the left, unboxed.
I found the RICH torsion wrench at a second hand store. Because of the unusual design, the seller thought pieces were missing. I bought the Rich Torsion Wrench for $40.00. The RICH torque wrench had never been used until I tried it. I checked it against a SnapOn Dial TW. There was a match.
I was watching an engine tear-down on You Tube. The take-a-part guy started to remove head nuts on one end and moved across the flathead to the far side. The nuts got progressively tighter and more difficult to remove. I was taught and have always loosened the fasteners evenly and in about three events, starting in the middle and working out to the ends. This was to reduce the chance of warping a head.
In the old days when engines could be rebuilt and money was is short supply, it was important to be careful.
I have a large, 640 cubic inch, one cylinder Diesel engine in my shop. This engine has five, one inch, (5) head bolts. The manual suggests even tightening and loosening of the bolts. I do not think this head will warp easily, but why take a chance on something the manufacturer thought was important enough to mention.
BTW. This engine will idle at about 60 RPM and top working rpm is just over 230. The engine weighs in at 4000 pounds. (1814 kg)
The cylinder head is much too heavy for a person to wrangle onto the studs.
Attachments
Ruston HR 2.jpg
TORQUE WRENCHES.jpg
RICH TORQUE WQRENCH.jpg
Rich Torque 2.jpg
Rich Tension Wrench1.jpg
RICH TENSION WRENCH.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:03 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Torque Wrenches and torque screw drivers
I have more than a dozen torque wrenches. Now that I am retired, I don't get to use them all like I used to.

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I don't own even one torque wrench. But then I'm not much of a mechanic either. When something I work on requires a torque wrench I borrow one from my brother (or get him to come and do the actual torquing) :t1812:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:06 pm

Well, Ralph, you have lots of shop space and you are surrounded by distance to the guy next door. You have peace and quiet. You can go to town and get a parking space. I cannot get a disabled parking space because the Skip The Dishes delivery persons are using the space.
You do not have bumper to bumper traffic all day, every day and heavy traffic all night. Your neighbours are not calling the city to make false reports about my running a business, when I am not. Your neighbours do not park their cars in front of your home. My wife, daughter and son have to walk a block. You do not have a neighbour parking next to your shop, at night, so he can bang some hooker he found on Kingsway. He would set the child seat out in my parking next to the garage and then steam the windows in his Caravan. My son threw a shovel of snow on his bare a$$ while I opened the sliding door. Nothing was ever said. I did pick up one of his condoms and stretch it over the door knob on his home. It was cold enough to freeze to the door.
I think I might trade a few torque wrenches for your situation. Take Care. Do you think I am a little up-tight? Over torqued?
Attachments
UTTERLY UNBELIEVABLE.jpg
country fair
CHICKEN CARTOON.jpg
Ralph
CHICKEN CARTOON.jpg (10.01 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
farm visit.jpg
Little Johnny after visiting Ralph
diarrhea.jpg
A country boy would not have to be told
BLIND CROSSING.jpg
Only a city person would think of this

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:53 am

Torque Wrenches and torque screw drivers

My crew and I use torque screwdrivers quite a bit. Average sets are 35 - 65 inch lbs
important to reduce the gauge to zero when not in use so not to deminish accuracy
over time. Not sure about larger wrenches but for sure with the type we use . ( Just FYI )
I did at one time work in the nuclear industry and would need certification for the wrench
and would be required to be checked at intervals . don't recall I beleive every 6 months.
most of the good one come with the certificate.

This is the one I keep on the trucks
Wheeler - Torque Wrench Tool Drive Screwdriver Gunsmith Handheld Rifle. to 65 in#

I have a Klein set that is part of my personal tool box toy collection - complete with long and short shanks
in a nice case. Everybody knows don't touch without asking or I get torqued :)

I like to keep my electricians torqued and on their toes when the inspector comes a checking for
loose electrical connections.
We use orange paint to stripe the screw or bolt head indicating their tightened to the equipment
manufacture specification - a common practice with our trade.

All more info than was needed but, today is final inspection on a project and coincidently this is on the punch list.

Be safe

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:50 am

When I did some work inside a nuke plant, they had their own torque wrenches and the tool room had a cert device to check the accuracy, it was set to the torque before you checked it out, and checked again when you brought it back. None of it was required for what I was in there for (Manlifts) but tools brought in didn't go back out, so if you needed something special, they bought it from you!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:25 pm

nikkinutshop wrote: I think I might trade a few torque wrenches for your situation. Take Care. Do you think I am a little up-tight? Over torqued?

Sounds like you live in a stressful environment alright. My only stress is the early onset of winter with crops still in the field. But I can go outside and curse the weather at the top of my voice and nobody will hear or report me to the authorities. Might scare the cows though. :-)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:02 pm

I was digging through a few neglected toolboxes and I found these vises.
The red vise was made in Germany. the jaw width is 63mm.
I picked up the green vise at a local garage sale.
Attachments
OLD VISE 2.jpg
OLD VICE 1.jpg
GERMAN VISE 2.jpg
post war
GERMAN VISE 1.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:49 pm

I like the red vice....Looks meaty for a clamp on bench vice. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:39 pm

The red vice is very light duty. It is much beter built than the usual mini-vice.
I have used it to crack nuts. Right now it is clamped to my desk and holds my pick-up-tool and headphones.
Attachments
mini vice.jpg
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion