Windshield gasket

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:59 pm

Windshield gasket

I have a 48 KB1, I bought a kit from Restoration Specialties, came with 12' windshield gasket # 2897. Not sure how to install. I see two ways to do it.
1st, hook the little lip on the outside of the frame & glue. Very easy
2nd, Force fit the base of the gasket in the bottom grove around the windshield. Going to be a job !!

Also am I going in the right direction with this gasket ?? Another brand or company ??

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:02 pm

Re: Windshield gasket

you fit it into the groove, did you remove old one? it is same, there was a company selling the wrong one for a while,

to install it, soak it in hot water to make it soft and pliable, use dish soap to lube it, you can kind of stretch it while installing to feed it into groove but you need to push it back to normal length once you have so much in track, you need to make sure it isn't stretched going around the corners, plastic putty knives help, don't use anything metal like a screw driver to poke it into groove, track has to 100% clean and free of remnants of old gasket.

some companies sell a complete looped gasket, you sound like you just got a length of it,
I've done 5 of these with both looped and open end, I put the split ends at side junction spot and glue them together,

best not to install gasket until you are ready to put frame onto truck as the corners will want to roll inward, I put the frame on and close the windshield for a month or so, sets a memory more or less,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:07 pm

Windshield is clean, Thanks for the instructions, Will pick a day to devote to the gasket.

Thanks
Lefty 1948

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:42 am

So do you put the rubber on the frame them put the glass in the rubber?
Then put it all in the cab frame?
Or do you put the frame in the cab then the glass after it has set for awhile?
Will be getting to that point here after the first of the year.
I apologize if this is a dumb question.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:10 pm

Not a dumb question, I'm about to be where your at soon. All good info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:33 pm

windshield frame bolts to hinges and is a separate unit from cab,

correct sequence is wrap glass sections with install bedding tape, (available at auto glass shops)
set top half of windshield frame facing up on a clean bench top make sure connector blocks are installed into top half outer rails,
slide wrapped edge glass down into the openings of the frame,
when mostly in place set bottom half of frame onto glass fitting glass into channels, tap bottom section down toward top section with a rubber mallet,
alternating back and forth from one end to the other so it keeps even, make sure connector blocks and center tang go into their respective openings,
once bottom is all the way tight to the top section you should be able to put screws in the connector blocks on outer rails and center rail as well,
take a razor knife and carefully remove excess bedding tape,
bedding tape is a emulsified rubber like product, not really sticky, you rub motor oil all over it to make it swell,
it is a messy slippy operation, once the frame is together the setting tape swells up from oil, and makes a seal,,,,,,in theory,
there are probably modern versions of this that are better now,

next you install the gasket as above post,

when you go to install frame to truck put a thick blanket on hood/cowl unless you don't care if paint gets messed up, put tape on lower mounts and crank them all the way in,

install the 4 long bolts in the upper hinges and with a helper slide the upper frame onto those bolts, install the stainless acorn nuts,

slowly crank out the mechanism, once you can reach the lower brackets ,install the lower screws into frame, tighten them up,

if you are reinstalling the same frame that you removed you should be good to go, close windshield all the way and leave it so gasket sets a memory,

if you are installing a replacement frame then you May need to adjust it to fit right and close all the way, up in windshield wiper openings you can loosen hinge bolts,
these adjust 6 ways, in/out, up/down and left/right,
any adjustment you do on one side affects the other, so small adjustments at a time, can be frustrating but it will line up with work,

back of cab is standard window install, put gasket around glass put a string in the outer groove, from in the truck set bottom of gasket groove onto cab flange,
slowly pull string out window opening with pressure on glass from inside, gasket will roll outward and onto flange, there are videos on you tube on how to do this.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:39 am

.that is really good information best one I've seen about fitting window frame and rubber.. Good on you bedrockjon

Return to K and KB