On the Road Again - Finally

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:08 am

On the Road Again - Finally

After 61 long months, the weather-beaten static display in my driveway is no longer just for show. Unofficially it has made a few clandestine shake-down runs through the neighborhood over the past year, though nothing that would draw too much attention. But as of yesterday it is legally fit for service, at least as far as the state of Utah is concerned.

Just a quick re-cap: Back in September of 2014 I bought my '52 L-110 from the local newspaper classifieds for $900 and had it towed home for $85, coming in just short of my self-imposed $1000 limit for a truck. It came on the heels of a 1955 Chevy 3200 that I'd bought but quickly decided I was better off not messing with as it was completely shot. Literally everything was worn out. Not even kidding. I sold it and waited for something better to come along.

An IHC wasn't my first choice (though I've come to admire it). But really I just wanted an old truck - any old truck. One that was good, but not too good. Something to help clean up the yard, all those dozens of bags of leaves every fall. Something I could haul heavy things with. Something to take out in the sagebrush. Truck stuff.

When I checked this one out it was sturdy and the price was right. It had last been on the road in 1993. It was sold several times thereafter but the title was never transferred. Originally from near Preston, Idaho, it eventually ended up in Logan, Utah, where it was used until the brakes stopped working, then parked, then sold, sold again, and trailered to West Jordan where I found it. Engine free but not running. Well used but never abused. Regularly maintained by evidence of the grease blobs near every chassis joint. A little rust but nothing to worry about. Bad electrical, bad fuel system, bad brakes. The usual ripped seat, rotten tires, and Grateful Dead stickers. Nothing that couldn't be fixed.

I thought it would take two years. Three at most. But with work, kids, and no garage (or air compressor or welder or anything besides hand tools) it took much longer. I considered quitting several times but decided it was better to just walk away for a few months and approach it later with a clear mind. I did things wrong, undid them, and did them over. I fell into silly rabbit holes over things that didn't matter but ended up wasting valuable time. At every opportunity I made things more complicated than they needed to be. In the end it was a month-long mad dash to beat one more season of snow and ice. Tires, rubber parts, shocks, spring bushings, new battery, steering adjustment, and a water pump that decided to puke immediately after putting the cooling system back together. I just made it. Temperature dropping rapidly tonight. Possible snow in the forecast for tomorrow.

However, today I got in maybe 15 solid miles without any issues - except for that brief moment of panic as the cab filled with smoke after heading out on the main road. That's the last time I'll forget to release the parking brake... But other than that, it was good. It's already doing real work, hauling recycling to the local collection bin. I had to justify those 61 months somehow.

IMG_2697.JPG

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:56 am

Re: On the Road Again - Finally

Nice job sticking with it. Looks good!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:47 am

That is so awesome. Thanks for sharing and welcome.
56 S-120 4x4 started the whole mess.
S-132 dually longbed,
S-120 4x4 Travelall,
S144 Forestry truck,
S160 Holmes tow

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:43 am

The truck looks great and I appreciate you taking the time to give the background story. It's a labor of love getting these old relics back on the road and there's nothing quite like the feeling of that first ride when everything is sorted and you're realizing the dream!
56 S120 4x4,

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:33 pm

I did the exact same thing with parking brake on my r110 quite a few years ago. Filled the cab with blue smoke and took a few moments to realize what was going on. Haven't done it since.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:31 pm

Great story, I'm in the same boat, but only been about a year for me. Congrats

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:23 am

Hi AZD

I really love the looks of your truck....I saved a copy of that picture your posted on here to my hard drive...love love love the finish on it...

Congrats on getting it up and running again...

MikeC

AZD

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks, it's come a long way since the day I spotted it:

53913-1410314699-725793.jpg
Pic from the online ad

Okay, so it doesn't look so different outside. But there's a whole lot of new parts underneath. And a whole lot of things I learned on this forum.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:50 am

I have to agree with Mike C, great look.
I'm in a similar situation, my L has been just collecting dust in my garage for over 5 years when I finally said it's time to get this truck on the road. I've been working like crazy since the spring to get it to where I can drive it but the more I get into it, the more I need to fix. Here's a picture of mine, just last night put a replacement cab back on the chassis. I love the patina look you have going, I'm keeping mine the same way. Good luck with it

Mike A
Attachments
20191028_192159-1.jpg
1952 L-112 Long Bed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:09 am

goyanks1 wrote:I have to agree with Mike C, great look.
I'm in a similar situation, my L has been just collecting dust in my garage for over 5 years when I finally said it's time to get this truck on the road. I've been working like crazy since the spring to get it to where I can drive it but the more I get into it, the more I need to fix. Here's a picture of mine, just last night put a replacement cab back on the chassis. I love the patina look you have going, I'm keeping mine the same way. Good luck with it

Mike A

Is that an IH sun visor or another brand? Fits well and looks good!
56 S120 4x4,
Next

Return to L, R and S