Bummed Out

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:59 pm

Bummed Out

To bring back a phrase from the sixties. It's been three weeks now since I have driven my truck. I was all gung ho, the front springs came right away. I got the U bolts made and all I needed was the front bushing for the springs and that's where things started to go off the rails. My normally excellent NAPA store dropped the ball the first week, They then ordered from a new source, then nothing , nothing, then guess what? They are lost in the mail. I'm now kicking myself in the arse for not having just ordered the things online myself. Last time for the rear springs they had the bushings in three days. I'm going into Binder withdrawal......man am I bummed out!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:24 pm

Re: Bummed Out

How will you cope with a real situation if and more likely it happens to you. The Binder is that waste of free time and if it is your hobby, it is supposed to have a few set-backs. You chose an obsolete truck with difficult to find parts. I can tell you, it will only get more difficult to live with your choice.
I would take this as a learning moment and a challenge. If you let this break you, you just lost this round.
Your truck hobby is as simple as it gets. Take one piece off and replace it with a like piece, put it on and your are done. Learn to use Google search and learn to use language the makes Google work better for your situation. This my involve you taking a few detailed measurements and then ordering some bushings from Energy Suspension. The Energy Bushings may need a little trimming to fit.
At the age and model of your choice of truck it may have come down to making something not OEM fit and work.
Look at some of the challenges I have set for myself, they are documented on this forum. I am in my mid 70s. I refuse to dig out that old cliché', If I can, surely your should be able. Maybe not.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:48 pm

I've been a little bit spoiled, I used and enjoyed the truck all summer and and now with Fall trickling away and Winter coming next I 'll get to use it a lot less other than on my property or a rare warm dry day. The parts are available it was just a poor choice on my part sticking with my NAPA dealer when I should have said "later fella's!" I don't disagree with your statements, working on old trucks teaches you patience, I just forget the lesson now and then.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:21 am

Binder Mike wrote:I've been a little bit spoiled, I used and enjoyed the truck all summer and and now with Fall trickling away and Winter coming next I 'll get to use it a lot less other than on my property or a rare warm dry day. The parts are available it was just a poor choice on my part sticking with my NAPA dealer when I should have said "later fella's!" I don't disagree with your statements, working on old trucks teaches you patience, I just forget the lesson now and then.

I feel you! Been over a year since any of mine have been in the road. It's easy to lose momentum.
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:10 am

Mike ,here is your PN 72686R1

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:24 am

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:10 pm

So last night around seven o'clock the phone rings and it's the owner of my local NAPA store, says "Mike your bushings have been found and there here at the store". "Hooray" I says and do a little dance in my kitchen. I picked them up first thing this morning and by lunch had the front spring replacement job finished. This afternoon I did a test ride and trip to town for lumber and the mail. Overall a huge improvement and best of all it felt great to be back behind the wheel of my truck! :t0201:
56 S120 4x4,

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Good job on the part of your Napa store owner, giving you a call. I don't think that would have happened at my closest store.
Good on you for getting it back functional. :t0201:
Dennis

Return to L, R and S