Taking Fenders off the box

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:32 am

Taking Fenders off the box

So I decided to work on my 1950 L110 over the winter. I’m in the process of taking the rear fenders off the box of the truck and getting no where. Has anyone on here done this? also if I need to replace the bolts after taking them off what is the size of them so I can get replacement ones lol any help would be great.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:03 am

Re: Taking Fenders off the box

They are called step bolts. I do not recall the size but I purchased them from Lawson Bolt. They were not cheap and you had to buy a box of 50. What is nice about them is that there is no marking on the carriage head side. I can get you the part number if you need it. Here is a link to their page
https://www.lawsonproducts.com/Step-Bol ... 100070.lpc

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:07 am

Use a nut splitter to remove the nuts, if you try to unscrew them the bolts will break. That way you can salvage the bolts and reuse them. It's hard to find small carriage bolts with such a large head

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:02 pm

Thank you I will stop trying to unscrew them

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:31 pm

There's a product called Kroil that is a pretty effective penetrating oil, If I can anticipate by a week or two a part I'm going to remove I'll soak the fasteners every day with a little and when the time comes the nuts will come of. If that fails a little judicious heat with the acetylene torch until the nut glows red then they can be spun right off. I seldom cut bolts completely off with the torch unless it's something I plan on replacing.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:47 pm

I would never consider using any bolt like the originals. I but my fasteners at Pacific Fastener. They are the go-to place for stainless fasteners.
On the matter of rear fender bolts, I bought 5/16" fine thread socket-head button bolts in stainless. I used a fender washer on the box side and another fender washer behind the nut, inside the fender. It is important to apply a little Neverseeze to the threads before the nuts go on. I like to use Nyloc nuts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyloc_nut
http://www.neverseezproducts.com/bostik ... pure.shtml
I always use stainless fasteners to replace the originals. While stainless is more costly, I would doubt using stainless adds more than $25 to a rebuild. When I say, "rebuild" I am referring to a total take apart for metal cleaning and paint. The cab is three sections held together with 56, 5/16" bolts. There is the floor section, the top and back and the cowl.
This link is useful to keep. It shows the sizes and thread count for fasteners. https://mechanicalc.com/reference/fastener-size-tables
I should mention. It is a good idea to not use stainless fasteners on steering and suspension. There are special stainless fasteners for those purposes, but they are very expensive and unnecessary.
Attachments
24 VALVE CUMMINS POWERED ROADSTER PICKUP.jpg
This is one of the changes a person can do with the take-a-part cab.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:09 pm

Is that R series convertable yours? If so I would be curious how the cut on the cab was made and how it was finished off.

Mike

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Not mine. I cannot say any more than this.
I do know there is a factory seam at that location. The upper and lower sections are spot welded together. I would guess, drilling out the spot welds may make a clean separation.
Rumor suggests the truck is Cummins 24 valve powered. I do know from my limited experience, Cummins 12 and 24 valve 5.9/6 will just fit without any surgery. I have a Cummins 4bta and a 24/5.9 in my shop. These engines are for future projects.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:57 am

I found some stainless bolts at a local hardware store (Elliots Hardware) that worked out great.

I used a grinder to cut off most of the bolts to get them off.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:44 pm

Fastenal has sst carriage bolts. But you may find some at a local Ace hardware or some mom and pop hardware place.

https://www.fastenal.com/product/fasten ... lyId=20460

Anti-seize is a great tip to use on all hardware. Having a friend help with fenders is really nice....real pain trying to hold the head of bolt in hole while reaching up under fender to tighten nut. Unless you have ape arms 4' long.
Rich
2016 BMW 1200 GS
2010 John Deere Zero Turn mower
2003 B2620 Kubota Tractor
2001 Toyota Tacoma
1970' Gilson snow blower
1963 Original Cub Cadet mower
1960's Troybuilt Horse rotortiller
1950 L112 International pickup
Next

Return to L, R and S