Starter Motor

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:11 pm

Starter Motor

Well I have the wiring now completed in my rebuild, reinstalled my starter motor and all my lights and power to the starter motor is great. My problem is my start motor only runs without engaging; does anyone have any suggestion on what to check on the starter motor. The starter motor worked great last year when I started my rebuild project. It is KB2 1949 with the original engine installed.

Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:49 pm

Re: Starter Motor

Sounds like a bad bendix or not getting enough juice.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:59 pm

My suggestion is to hit the starter with a smack hammer and it may set the Bendix stuff free.

Bud

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:08 pm

no bendix on these, mechanically engages,

it should not be able to run without being engaged, the mechanical lever engages the starter drive to flywheel
then pushes on the starter button on top of the starter,

you may not have an original starter in it,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:40 am

The bendix is the mechanical gear that gets engaged to the flywheel. I think what Jon is referring to is how the gear actually gets engaged meaning it does not have a selenoid to engage the bendix. Maybe that is not the official description for a bendix but that is what my old man always called them and I used to see on the boxes when he replaced them.

But yes you would want to make sure that the starter motor is being engaged by the lever but then the drive gear will engage to the flywheel if the battery and starter motor has enough oomf!

Jump it with a 12v battery and see what happens. That will give you about 9 volts. Just dont want to do that on a regular basis.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:13 pm

yes^ we were told bendix is the part that throws the drive gear into the flywheel, the drive gear assembly probably is referred to as the bendix on some circles,

regardless, with original starter it is impossible for starter to turn over without being engaged IF you have original foot stomp peddle starter in your truck as it is mechanically engaged,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:36 pm

I accidentally found a way to turn the starter over without the mechanism engaging. This is on my 269. I bench tested the starter and it worked perfectly. While I had it out I was looking at the part that
engages with the flywheel and it appeared rather dry. So, in my infinite wisdom I decided to lubricate it with a little bit of grease, not much at all. And, it stuck, it would not engage no matter how much
I swore. I wiped off the grease and it worked as intended again. My long winded explanation being you might check for this same condition on your starter because it should just engage, it's
a very simple mechanism.

Hope this helps

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:01 pm

The smaller K's use a different type starter that doesn't use the inertia drive that the bigger Ks do.

Return to K and KB