WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:25 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

waltesefalcon wrote:'Hmmm, im not sure i would use the word "amused".'

When it comes to politics amused and afraid are probably the only two intelligent things to be. Any Government exists for its own benefit and to the detriment of the people it rules. Here in America we like to think of ourselves as citizens and that the power of the government flows from us, but the truth is that our Republic died a long time ago and we are just as much subjects today as we were in 1775.

Well said!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:02 pm

What did I do?
I cleared my workbench and sorted the tools onto my HAZET cart. I finished making a special short .250" transfer punch.
A few days ago I tried to turn the Alpine radio on in my '40 Ford, with the remote. It was dead. The batteries had corroded and left a green mess. New batteries installed after cleaning the spring terminal, still nothing. So, I do the right thing and then check the voltage at the car battery. Next, I call my electronics friend. The first thing he said was, "Did you turn the key to accessories?" I will get over this by tomorrow, maybe. I fired myself and went in the house for supper.
Attachments
CHECK YOUR SHORTS.jpg
ALPINE RADIO.jpg
Alpine
DASHBOARD 3.jpg
radio behind the grill
HAZET AFTER.jpg
HAZET
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:36 pm

I decided to take a short nap after lunch. I guess I made contact with my pocket remote door opener. The garage door opened and set off the alarm. The alarm company called the home and I did not get to the phone soon enough so they called me. I was calling my wife and I did not answer the call to my cell. The alarm company called my son on his cell. Everyone was in a panic because they thought I had become a statistic. The police showed up at the front door, did a quick check to make sure all is OK then left. My son arrived at some point and gave me "what-for" for causing the panic.
Well, I am up, and dressed and not in the mood to go out to the shop, now. I suppose the take-away from this is, The alarm works as it should.
I was going to have a local towing company pull my Ford out of the shop and turn it around 180*. I want the exhaust at the door and the engine part in the center of the shop. We live on a very steep street and lane. I do not want to risk having a roll-away. The Ford has storage only insurance. Tomorrow will be just fine.
Attachments
2019 snow 1 steep lane.jpg
18 inches drop over 96 inches run

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:06 pm

My neighbour, across the lane is like Wilson from Tool Time. I never see him but he is always there. I could hear his voice, from two days ago, as the garage door closed, "I hope you didn't get any on yourself."

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:51 pm

[quote="nikkinutshop"]Thanks, I appreciate this. I am thinking this collet system is British. The set came with a Myford Lathe.
PM sent Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:00 pm

I was given a 75 year old set of sheetmetal rolls, yesterday. The end frames are very ornate, BUT, The lack of service and abuse has caused the wear surfaces in the frames to be very worn. Can I fix this? Yes, but, how much time do I want to put into this this tool.
I am going to put all of the pieces away for another day. I will take a few pictures next time I pass through the shop.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:25 am

I measured up some shop spaces and made a plan to move a few machines. I hope to make better use of my floor-space.
After looking long and hard at my 16-120 Southbend Lathe, I have decided to offer it for sale on Craigslist. I have lots of chucks and other accessories to go with it. I figure $900cdn is a fair price.
I am looking at a shorter MONARCH to replaced the SB.
Attachments
MONARCH 16.jpg
SOUTHBEND 16.jpg
SOUTHBEND 16 X 120.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:40 am

****, I wish I didn't live so far away Nikki; I'd buy that up in a heart beat.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:33 pm

waltesefalcon
I appreciate high school teachers and the task they have applied themselves to.
My daughter teaches in a large high school in the next city. Her specialties are coding, CNC, robotics and metals shop practice.
Unfortunately, the school shop she works in has been neglected for decades. It is so very important to keep teachers who understand their jobs.
When she started in this school her class had a few disruptive stragglers. They were looking for a place to hide and fail for another year.
My daughter being who she is, demanded much more from the students. She makes it her responsibility to make the class interesting and challenging at the levels of each student while restoring respect. Her class soon filled to capacity. The disrupters have become her work-leaders.
My daughter was two hours late last night. She had stayed after school to accommodate a bunch of her students. They were into their projects.
One of her students is autistic and almost never spoke. She found the "key" to unlock his challenge. He makes some of the most beautiful and artistic forgings. His mother tearfully thanked my daughter for "finding her kid" and opening him up.
My daughter had parents, guardians and family come to visit with her on meet the teacher day. Some of the parents were being encouraged by their student
My daughter has a box of student projects home for marking. The most beautiful forgings are from the autistic student. I will not post any pictures without her permission.
My daughter grew up in a home where we often had marginal persons and those without family as guests.
She discovered that a hungry student is not a good student. I know she often buys breakfast for hungry students, with her own money. This school has a much respected food services and chef's training program and a fantastic international menu in the cafeteria.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Nikki- those comments remind me of stories of my father's school days- a kindergarten teacher working hard with only two students: a tongue-tied southern girl and a boy raised speaking only German, a grade school cook who always found some meat for a boy who didn't eat fish on fish day, etc.

I see the love my wife has for her students, how hard she has to work to overcome lack of support at home, how much of "my" money and time get spent in her classroom, and I let her be frustrated to me so as to not be with the kids.

There are many examples of great teachers today, and you should be very proud your daughter sounds like one of them. We need someone to teach the next generation of auto restorers, because I'm pretty sure you and I are too ornery to get it done!
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion