Clutch bearing

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:49 am

Re: Clutch bearing

Quick update; I could not remove the transmission cover to disconnect the the cable from the column shift. The cable looked long enough to pull back the transmission and remove the throw out bearing. I made a plywood cradle attached to a motorcycle jack and mounted it on a four wheel dolly. I have the truck on jack stands with enough clearance . It was successful. The bearing removed from the shaft was a 2005 C 35. The one I replaced it with is a 2005 C 43. It was 1/4" longer from bearing surface to the end of the body. It has the same inside dimensions and the clutch fork cradle is the same. The bearing fit fine but the adjustment rod dead ended with only 1" pedal free play. I compensated by grinding 1/4" off the threaded end of the adjustment rod. The bearing costs $33 US. After I ordered it I saw on for $25.

Not finished buttoning up yet. Will add another reply after a test ride.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:51 am

Update; bearing replaced with Federal Mogul 2005 C 43. Bearing is quiet, shifts well. Still have strange noise coming and going..I guess the clutch pedal depression was coincidental. Once again CB89 had it on the money that the bearing was still OK because it wasn’t noisy when depressed but I feel better with a new bearing that is less sloppy and doesn’t throw grease.
I’m going to have to find a place where I can have a second set of ears ride along possibly in the bed of the truck. The truck runs well and I travel the back roads 45/50 mph with no problems. It seems something tinny is vibrating..hard to explain unless one hears it. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:16 am

Can't find that grease fitting for the throw out bearing on my '47 KB1. Does your KB have it? If so, where?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:55 am

The original bearing I removed from the KB1 had no grease fitting. The new one has the fitting on the bottom.
Previous

Return to K and KB