Stuck transmission cover

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:43 am

Stuck transmission cover

Trying to remove the transmission I’ve hit a snag in quest to replace my throw out bearing. This truck has the shift on the column. I’m unable to release the end of the remote cable from slide cradle in the transmission. I have the small top plate off but can’t get enough free play to raise the nubbed end of the cable from the sliding mechanism it is attached to . This would allow me to remove the pin on the out side of the case and clear the cable from the transmission.
SO I’m now attempting to remove the top cover and try a different approach but the top cover won’t budge. The last person to assemble this (me) put black permatex gasket maker on both sides of the cover gasket before assembling. I did stop any gear oil from escaping the top but the cover is now a problem.I’ve tried a thin putty knife with a little hammer persuasion, a piece of wood hit by a hammer, heat from a heat gun, tapping exposed edges from underneath the truck and haven’t accomplished anything.
ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:09 am

Re: Stuck transmission cover

Spray some lacquer thinner around the edges of the lid. Keep the edge wet. The thinner will soften the gooh.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:42 am

Re: Stuck transmission cover

I will give it a try . Thanks

Return to K and KB