Exhaust manifold gasket

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:10 am

Exhaust manifold gasket

Just receive the intake exhaust manifold gasket from Outback Parts is the original International gasket it's a thin piece of metal with raised portions around the openings. It seems you're going to have to have a pretty tight fit in order for this to work has anyone had any experience with these good or bad? I was expecting the composite gasket with the fibre metal combination that's what was on the truck before .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Re: Exhaust manifold gasket

You need to have the mating surfaces of the manifold flat. The old and brittle cast iron will break when tightened to the engine if there is any irregularities.
Surface grinding at a machine shop is a good idea.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:03 pm

I posted some pictures back in 2015 when I replaced the exhaust manifold on my bld250 after Corbinder explained to me about the intake manifold inserts that I was missing. I was too afraid of breaking the the ears off of the manifold to use my nos metal gasket. I made a gasket out of a thicker composite graphite material that I had in the shop. If you are interested, look at my old photos, they show both gaskets and the intake inserts that I made. I can try to further identify the gasket material that I used this weekend if you are interested. P.S. Thanks again Cornbinder!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:36 pm

2015? That is some time ago. If CB89 is in your court on this situation, you do not need anything I might add.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to K and KB