Clutch bearing

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:59 am

Clutch bearing

1949 KB1. Ok, I’ve have a strange noise bugging me for quite some time. It comes and goes with rpm. Sometimes all is quiet and sometimes noisy for a brief period. Yesterday when I depressed the clutch pedal it seemed to go away. Next time out I will reaffirm.IF it is the throw out bearing can one be found ? It seems that some have grease fittings and some not.

I adjusted the pedal free play as manual suggests but I think the bearing is vibrating against the pressure plate and spinning thus the noise coming and going. If this , in fact, is the cause is one source better than another to purchase a throw out bearing for a KB1 ?

Thanks All,
Bob K

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:29 am

Re: Clutch bearing

If it goes away when you step on the clutch, it is not a bad throw-out bearing. It could be a rattle caused by the bearing hitting the finger or dapharm spring, but if it is a bearing noise that stops when you stop the input shaft, it is more likely the input bearing or the bearing between the main and input shaft (pocket bearing).
Throw-out bearing will be noisy when loaded (clutch pedal depressed).
If there is a fair bit of crankshaft end play, you could get it knocking against the throw-out, when you step on the clutch, you push the crank forward.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:57 am

Ok. A quick follow up; if my memory doesn’t fail me at this time,I did not have to actually depress the clutch pedal. I sort of had enough pressure to place the throw out against the pressure plate but I see what you’re saying in regards to eliminating the input shaft movement and maybe that’s all the pedal movement it needed. If I don’t have too many grandchildren’s games tomorrow I’m going to pull the inspection cover and at least have a look-see. I’m thinking that I’ll probably have to pull the transmission anyway at the end of season. I’ve never replaced transmission bearings before but this may be a good opportunity to learn.
Once again; thanks for the input

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:52 am

Haven’t yet removed the inspection cover but the more I think about the sound it is more like rattle than a worn bearing .So I’m hoping it is as CB89 suggests and the throw out bearing is touching the fingers . I’ll try some more free play at the pedal and see what happens.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:59 pm

is your return spring intact? doesn't matter how much you adjust if return spring isn't pulling bearing off the pressure plate
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:00 am

Yup. Return spring is on my list

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:21 pm

OK. This is what I found; after adjusting the pedal free play , the test ride produced the same noises but the transmission seemed to shift more easily even though the clutch fingers weren’t depressed as much.
I just got out from under the truck having removed the inspection cover. The throw out bearing has been throwing some grease. There is slop sideways and front to back at the bearing housing ( the sealed unit) and It appears that there is enough slack to allow the bearing to slide against pressure plate fingers even with the new adjustment. I found it odd that there was no substantial noise when the clutch pedal was depressed.
I also noticed a lot of free play at the cast part of the bearing where the fork rides . This may be normal but it looks excessive.
Seeing that the throw out bearing is supposed to be a sealed unit I think it may be time to replace it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:03 pm

Anybody out there know which clutch throw out bearings fit the KB1 ? I found one on eBay with no dimensions and it says it fits a K7. It looks the same as the one in my KB1.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Travelall Parts has one for $200 bucks but you can buy the bearing cheap and press it onto the sleeve. Take your old one to a bearing shop.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:44 am

Thanks Worthy. I thought that might be an option but wasn't sure.
Next

Return to K and KB