Original or Modern Motor Transplant - Poll

Just keep it clean please....

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:08 am

Original or Modern Motor Transplant - Poll

Everybody please reply. I think I as well as others will find this interesting.

This topic came up in the L,R and S section last week regarding the SD220. With these old trucks, are you in the club that prefers to keep the motor original even though parts are hard to find, motor is gutless, etc. OR is your preference to pull it and transplant a more modern/parts friendly/powerful motor?

Over the past 11 months since I've had this truck (R-112), I couldn't tell you the number of times somebody told me to put a LS or modern motor in. Although I think sometimes they are joking I'm kinda sick of hearing it. If this wasn't a sentimental family piece I may consider it but I want to keep grand-pappy's truck as close to original as the day I pulled it out of the corn crib. It is likely after the rebuild I will have about $3000-$3500 in the SD220 which sounds kinda crazy but it's what will make me happy.

POLL: Original OR Transplant ????

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:48 am

Re: Original or Modern Motor Transplant - Poll

Original!!

Do we get to comment too? I'll just say I've always liked straight six motors and they have been my preference, even my work truck of 30 years has a six in it when I could have easily swapped in a big block V8 at any time. I'm probably a little weird but I love six's. Secondly I think if an old truck came with a six and there is a chance of preserving it go that route or a lot of charm, history, and originality is lost if you change it out. Just my view point, not saying its right. When I've had a need for speed I've always had my motorcycles to scratch that itch.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 am

and the SD240 is pretty and plenty for me to play with,
even without the original IH dress colors. - Kinda like my bride....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:50 pm

Put me in the all original camp. Why have and old truck that is nothing more than a modern vehicle under its skin? To me, if you want modern, buy modern. I have two both K's both stock or as close to it as possible. Both 6 volt.
I am also a fan of inlines, esp inline 6's. I hate V engines with a passion! I wouldn't mind in Inline 8, esp a Gardner 8lXB, but for a light or medium truck a inline 6.
I have (had) two Fleetstars, one with an inline 6-71 Detroit and one with an RD 6, two 9670 with inline Cummins 855's and one Marmon with a Cat 3406. I also have a Saab inline and a Toyota with an inline both 4 bangers.
I much rather see an SD or BLD with a turbo than a SBC or SBF stuffed under the hood. The old IHC sixes were plenty stout and will take to a turbo well, just ask Kevin.
Attachments
8LXB.jpg
Gardner 8LXB

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:40 pm

I'm firmly in the "it depends" category. As in, it depends on the condition of the original truck and it depends on what you want to do with it. If I won the lotto tomorrow, I'd like at least two trucks :D . One bone stock original, and one that is a bit more modern but still looks original. That being said, if I did do a swap I would seriously consider a newer straight 6 swap instead of a V8. I'd still like something that is somewhat different instead of just another old car or truck with a v8 in it (though I might consider a flathead V8 if I found one at the right price/condition).
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Original is cool. it provides a driving experience that cannot be replaced.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:05 pm

I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:19 pm

For the purposes of responding to this pole, I am in the modernization camp. But, if you’re going to base your actions on the outcome of this pole to make a decision about which way to go, then it is my opinion that you are going about making a decision in the wrong way. A decision of that kind needs to be based on what you, the individual, want out of your truck such as cost, usage, desires. My truck, too, was the last pickup truck my grandfather owned. He bought it in 1968. I received the truck in 1974. I drove the truck for 5 years all original except for after market tires and wheels. All that time I was driving original, I was plotting the day when it would have more power and better brakes. So when the engine died in 1979, I just happened to be relocating to a new job and state. So the truck basically went into hibernation for about 30 years. Never once did I consider using the original engine for propulsion. I considered it a lost cause because there was no internet to research parts availability. Today with an internet to help out, parts can be located, albeit scarce, they’re out there. I still would prefer modern power and brakes because my driving circumstances may, just may, be different from yours. Keeping up with today’s traffic almost mandates some measure of performance that was not an option in the truck’s early life. At car shows, I’m often asked why I didn’t keep it “all original”. My short answer usually is the parts availability one. However, I may add an example of: If you buy an old home because you want to live in an old architectural example, chances are you’re going to update something: appliances, paint (or wall covering) floors or whatever. You’re not going to settle for (at least most people won’t) an old delapidated wood fired stove, coal or wood fired furnace, etc. Why should your old truck be any different? The bottom line ultimately is what do you want. Once you’ve crossed the line to modernization, you will have to decide to what extent. Every level of modernization will have an associated cost to it. Sure keeping it all original will have some level of cost, too. Nothing comes without cost of some kind. I know how much money I sunk into modernizing my granddad’s truck. I know that nikkinutshop has sunk 6 figure Canadian bucks into his ‘40 Ford. In our cases, it’s not about the money. It’s about building the vehicle we wanted. (I only had this one shot at getting this truck.) And that, my friends, is why you modernize a vehicle.
L110 owner since 1974, finally rebuilt 2014.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:45 pm

WEW51L110 wrote:For the purposes of responding to this pole, I am in the modernization camp. But, if you’re going to base your actions on the outcome of this pole to make a decision about which way to go, then it is my opinion that you are going about making a decision in the wrong way. A decision of that kind needs to be based on what you, the individual, want out of your truck such as cost, usage, desires.

I don't think this poll is about decision making just seeing what the individual members here are doing with their rigs and how the results stack up. I
Last edited by Binder Mike on Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:07 pm

randemon has the right idea.
I have 3 Flathead V8s. They are not worth the trouble, unless a person wants something original in an old Ford. The cost of rebuilding an old Flathead is shocking and all a person gets is a nice sounding engine that is not very powerful. I spent $15k on my Flathead to bring a little performance into it.
I do not have a good reasons to keep a Ford Flathead V8 other than I like the look and sound and it fits my 1940 Ford. I looked at the Flathead as a base to build something interesting on. If it turns out that I do not like the Flathead, I will change it out for a new Cummins R28 crate diesel engine. It is only money.
https://www.cummins.com/engines/repower
The Cummins R28 crate engine is complete and will fit nicely in an Old IHC pickup and a 1940 Ford.
I built and drove an R120 for 20 years and 225,000 miles. The running gear was 100% nothing original. Nothing was lost in the special feeling some persons are looking for. I put a 6.9 V8 Diesel in my "R". There is enough information on this truck, on this forum.
70 - 80 years ago there was a service station every few miles, because there was a need for the service. My family had one of those service stations.
The engines of those by-gone-daze needed lots of service and fuel. From the second a person starts one of these old points ignition systems the parts start to wear and go out of adjustment. A carburetor may be perfectly in adjustment in your shop. If your drive has a significant altitude change, the carburetor will not be at it's best in a few miles. Those clattering valves can be set to specification and they will also wear out of adjustment as a person drives.
I think IHC would have built better if the technology was available to them, for a price.
I am firmly on the side of making my IHC better while preserving the look.
WEW51L110 has it figured out. HIs IH truck has the look, the feel and gets the attention he deserves. I respect what WEW has built. He is driving while others are stuck in a shed worrying about keeping it all original.
Do what you think is best for your situation. If anyone thinks they will save money with a proper rebuild of and old IH motor, have a seat. The $$ shock will knock you over. All original does not protect a person from what they do not know.
Attachments
ABOM79 1.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Next

Return to Non-IH discussion