1950 L Series Hidden Hinges

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:19 pm

1950 L Series Hidden Hinges

I'd like to stir the pot a little. I've seen, probably hundreds of times, posts on forums that assert that the hidden door hinges on 1950 L series lasted only one year because they were defective. Other than reasserting "what we all know", does anyone know where this comes from? Anyone seen a 1950 L with the doors falling off? At least any worse for wear than the '51's and '52's? If the reason for the change was because of a defect, it had to become apparent almost immediately upon production, and in less than a year. L production started December 1, 1949. The hidden hinges were on 110's until serial number 30196, and on L120's until 13945. On January 2, 1951, production was at 29203 for 110's, and 13501 for 120's. So the change was made probably in January, 1951. If there were door problems that early and that easily detected, that a redesign and retooling was done in less than a year, why have so many survived after that time? And what's so different about the hidden hinges? Same basic design used on almost every vehicle for the last 50 years. My suspicion is that IH started production, and started looking at ways to reduce costs. 1950's had gas tanks with a baffle. Gone by 1951. The brackets to support the gas tanks were reinforced. Gone by 1951. Maybe some farmers complained about difficulty oiling the internal hinges. Still, they wouldn't be defective within the first year. As I said, I'm just stirring the pot, I don't KNOW that it was a cost issue, but I'm wondering if anyone has a dealer bulletin, service bulletin, or anything put out by IH that states the reason for the change.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:28 pm

Re: 1950 L Series Hidden Hinges

If your post is a debate, you ask too many questions. A debater should have answers.
You say, "I've seen, probably hundreds of times,". I doubt that this is true. Hundreds?
I know where this comes from, but I am not going to help you with your debate.
You ask. "why have so many survived after that time? " So many is an indefinite number that is not verifiable.
You ask, "And what's so different about the hidden hinges?" Maybe you should do some investigation into your question. There is a major difference. Contrary to your statement, "Same basic design used on almost every vehicle for the last 50 years." This is not true. The IH hinge was unique to IH pickups.
What has become known as a Trade Service Bulletin was not likely issued by IHC, for the hinge situation. There was no repair other than parts replacement. There was no a retro-fit for the new style hinges into the older model.
Your opening statement of,"I'd like to stir the pot a little." sets the stage for just that and nothing more.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Not a debate, just questions. And if I had the answers, I wouldn't have posted the questions. I have tried to find the basis for the statements that the hinges were defective, and haven't found it. So asking if someone has. You say the IH hinges were unique. What was unique about them? And if you don't want to tell me, I'll accept that as well.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:37 pm

When I am in again at my shop, I will try to look at my doors on my 50 L112. I think I once determined that the whole hinge set up from a later truck could be transplanted, but I must look again. It was not something I was interested in doing.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:44 pm

Paul,
I can't answer your questions, but have seen changes made very early in a production run in other models. There are always prototypes out in the field before production begins, and it could be from the prototype that a problem is found, abit after std production has started.
The 9670 changed the windshield gasket 3 times in 4- 5 years. The very early units had a cable driven speedo, then a mag pick-up in the rear hub, and then a pick-up on the tailshaft all within a few years.
Cummins Big Cams went thru several changes in very few years. Big Cam 1 came out in '78 or 79 and Big Cam 3's were in production by late '82 (Big Cam 2's must have been a very short run) and Big Cam 4's were in production by '86 and NT88's by '88.
Anyway you look at it that is a lot of change in a short time. Running changes may be made to head off future warnentte problems. The problem may not be serious enough to cause a retrofit, but enough that they want to head off the problem before it gets too big.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:06 pm

I agree.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:15 am

Ford uni-body pickups from 61-63 come to mind, a seemingly good idea that wasn't. At least the L series hidden hinges if they were a problem weren't on that scale.

Maybe the design staff decided the external hinges were just to good a place to hang side view mirrors to eliminate?
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:14 am

My Dad bought one of those Ford trucks for his salesman. The truck had body cracking and the doors would pop open.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:03 pm

I have a service bulletin telling mechanics how to put newer exposed hinges onto a hidden hinge cab, so whatever the reason to go away from them,

if you damaged a door, your only option was a new exposed hinge door,

from what I read there wasn't enough metal in the pillar to support the hidden hinge setup, pillars cracked or bowed, bolts got loose, doors sagged.

there was a valid reason to discontinue them and it wasn't to have a place to hang a mirror,

I have a 1950 cowl mount mirror assembly, seems pretty beefy to me,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:01 pm

bedrockjon wrote:
there was a valid reason to discontinue them and it wasn't to have a place to hang a mirror,

I have a 1950 cowl mount mirror assembly, seems pretty beefy to me,

Aww come on....I thought a long time to come up with that theory! :lol:
56 S120 4x4,
Next

Return to L, R and S