WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

Just keep it clean please....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:31 pm

Re: WHATS IN YOUR TOOL BOX?

I may have spoken too soon. There should be two packages and I got one. The retailer said they shipped two. The courier said the other package is still in transit from Calgary. Delivery expected to be tomorrow.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:03 pm

As cheap as variable frequency drives are becoming, they'll put the phase convertors mfg out of business.
You can get 3 phase out with single or three phase in, and have speed control to boot!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:08 pm

I have to be careful with how I answer.
I do not know enough about phase conversion, so, I had to rely on experienced persons I know and trust to help me make the right choice for my situation. My understanding of my situation was this. I would not have any concerns with an AR RPC. There were circumstances where a VFD may not be my best choice.
Almost anything I can say, at this point, will give persons cause to dissagree because of their experience or beliefs.
My due diligence made my choice easy. I cannot discuss anything where a persons beliefs are involved. Belief makes it personal.
The choice I made certainly was not the least expensive, by a wide margin.
After I placed my order an American Rotary representative called me on my cell. He wanted to know if I had done my "homework" and he asked a bunch of questions. In a few minutes he was satisfied with my choice. I offered to move up a $1000 to a mre expensive and more powerful model. I was told this would not be necessary.
AR set up an account with my name on it, so if I have any questions the base information will be there.
I am totally confident with my choice. The American Rotary is 100% MADE IN USA. The unit I bought came from a Canadian American Rotary retailer, in Canada. There is a Canadian Maple Leaf on the Canadian model and a Canadian UL approved sticker on the side.
I always look for made in USA or Canada, first. I have never been to that store that sells nothing made in North America.
I am too old to start a business of my own, so, the minimum I can do is to support a locally made industry.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:50 pm

At first I thought this was it. Another look at the shipping label suggests this box is 2 of 2. So, where is 1 of 2?
A quick call to the courier customer service put a trace on the lost package. It had been delayed in Calgary, recovered and sent on to The West Coast. When 1 of 2 arrived at the terminal, it was put out on a delivery truck for another area. An on-the-road transfer to the right truck the drlivery was complete.
The first box weighs 20.9 pounds. The better late than never second box is labeled VERY HEAVY and weighs 219 pounds. I will need some help with that one.
The second box contains, what is called "the idler". The idler is a Made in USA BALDOR procuct.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Craigslist has been a no-go all summer. Suddenly, this week everything I had posted on CL sold to happy buyers. I am thinking the summer holiday is over and life returns to normal.
I need to make up another list of things to go to new homes.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:50 pm

After all of the complications I opened the two boxes and found the red parts bag missing. A call to the supplier had an apology and the suggestion the parts would be on the truck for the next day. Suddenly, I get an invoice requesting payment for a floor mount conversion kit. The shipping cost is being paid by the supplier. I agreed to buy the conversion kit, the missing rubber feet will be no cost to me. The conversion kit has some pieces I can use for my situation.
I am used to there being a F-up because this is what the consumer is served in 2019. When the only situation was a few missing bits and pieces, I was relieved. The retailer was instantly moving to make "it right." https://toewspower.com/
All is well on the Western Front.
Please send rain. We are dryer than a popcorn fart.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:49 pm

I am looking at a BRIDGEPORT "J" head milling machine. the price is right. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with this machine?
I have a surprisingly good milling machine form "Over There". I have had it for over 15 years. It had never been a problem. I have hundreds of hours on this Chinese machine. I needed a milling machine and this was available and affordable. I could not find a Bridgeport, at that time.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:47 pm

After considering my options and looking for any improvement to my situation, a Bridgeport milling machine might make, I have decided to not change anything. The milling machine I have, while not being my first choice, was and is a good, reliable and accurate machine. This is not to say that I might buy a Bridgeport at some later date. The asking and firm price for this milling machine is too high for me to think of it as a replacement for something that is working really well.
The seller dropped his asking price from $4900 to $3900 and this is where he is prepared to stay. If I was facing a $2500 price, this outcome may have been different.
One of the other spoilers is the cost of moving a 2800 pound machine. A Bridgeport is very top heavy and I am not about to tackle this move. One estimate suggested about $1000 including insurance.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:07 pm

I have to thank ibesq for sending the first of these two Vise Grip multitools to me.
I found another on Craigslist today and it was $10. The seller had posted the ViseGrip
These multi-tool modifications are by SCHRADE. This new to me Vise Grip multitool will go into the collection of nearly 200 other Made In Nebraska Vise Grips.
Attachments
vISE GRIPS DRAWER 2.jpg
VISEGRIPS 2.jpg
ONE DRAWER OF FOUR DRAWERS.
VISEGRIP MUL.TI TOOL.jpg
Vise Grip multitools by SCHRADE

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:40 pm