Oil pump and distributor alignment

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:42 am

Oil pump and distributor alignment

I took my oil pump out to rebuilt it. Also removed distributor. What is the best way to reinstall them to ensure proper alignment? Service manual says to align oil pump shaft tab Parallel with engine block and push up to engage gear so tab is at correct distributor placement. Is this the best method? I currently have piston #1 at TDC compression position.

Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Re: Oil pump and distributor alignment

That is the procedure set out in the service manual. Same engine type, but later service manual for BD and BG engines, CTS-2023 shows setting the tang at a 30-degree angle. Doesn't matter as long as you have it on TDC for cylinder 1, on the compression stroke, and set the wires in the cap with the rotor pointing to #1.

Oil Pump Installation.jpg

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks, Paul. I appreciate the insight and illustration. I’m assuming that starting with tang at parallel to engine and engaging the gear it will rotate to 30 degrees when installed. Guess I’ll find out:). It’s a SD 220 engine in 53 R-110.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:12 pm

as long as your motor is set at TDC compression stroke for #1, it really doesn't matter if oil pump is not exact,

once distributor is installed and rotor placed on, you look where rotor lines to on cap, may need to rotated distributor some to line up with a cap connection hole,

that is now your #1 plug wire, then put others in 153624 firing order,

I just pulled my oil pump on my KB, I put is back in thinking it was right, wouldn't start, was off by 180 degrees, instead of pulling pump to reposition just moved wires around, now #1 is where #6 was, oil pump tang is offset on KB, so rotor shaft can only go in one position,

SD line distributor can be lifted slightly and rotor position reversed to 180 degrees if needed,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to L, R and S