Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:12 pm

Re: New Photo

IMG_1206.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG

Car show in town today, the first one for this truck. I was the only one there with patina finish and I was the only binder there but the truck was very well recieved and I spent the whole day answering questions and preaching the gospel of International Harvester, no trophies, wasn't expecting any but had a great day. I even had a young guy in his late twenties who quizzed me for nearly an hour about IH's, Gives me hope that these trucks won't die out all together and that guys like him will continue on with the brand.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:22 pm

DSCF4578.jpg

Retired lawyer I know in town, real nice guy, he collects old Volkswagens. Were talking about the ins and outs of 6 volt electrics. I actually was able to help a few people out with 6 volt systems that day with the knowledge I gained from this site.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:20 pm

Trucks as art?
DSC03042.jpeg

My old 51 as painted by a local artist. I have a friend back east who I have known since first grade who is a retired architect and pretty gifted water colorist, he enjoys painting pictures that involve fly fishing and landscapes. He has seen pictures of my S-120 and is wanting to do a series on that. My wife who is a professional photographer (any of the good ones you see on this thread are hers) is going to shoot a few for my friend with some nice background to give him something to work with. I hope to be sharing those paintings in the future.

Meanwhile I am encouraging everybody to help keep this photo thread going. Post pictures of your trucks, your workshop, dog and cats, you name it! Lift them off the web or take them yourself, it's all good.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:32 pm

Dad' truck at his funeral. Second picture of Dad's truck after a total rebuild including drive train.
Attachments
CAB WITH TWIN WINDOWS.jpg
L110
3 minus flywheels.jpg
the other IHC
ORRVILLE RIGHT FRONT.jpg
my "R" crewcab
R120 in 1991 (2).jpg
after total rebuild
Dad's Funeral day.jpg
Dad's truck at his funeral
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:45 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Dad' truck at his funeral. Second picture of Dad's truck after a total rebuild including drive train.

Good post! I like your Dad's truck plus the changes you made.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:11 pm

R120 and me.jpg
R120 with a Warn winch
When I look back at Dad's truck after the major re-do, I have to remind myself that it really happened in my shop.
I built the canopy. My brake was only 54 inches, so I had to borrow time on a 10 foot brake in a local sheetmetal shop. The R120 had an 8 foot box.
I made some mistakes in the build. I would never install a 6.9 V8 Diesel again. The power was just OK and better than the OEM. Four wheel disc brakes was a good idea as well as the 4X4.
I hope that my mind is able to imagine another interesting build. I was 45 then. That was 30 years ago. A lot has changed.
Does anyone notice anything different with the windshield wipers?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:10 pm

I do and how hard was it to do that? Did you have to make all new linkage and is the change worth it when it comes to performance? Looks pretty sharp!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:16 am

I drove the linkage off the same crank. The wipers move together, although the right side moved about 50% farther. I shortened the drive crank on the left wiper. For the linkage I used aluminium rods and Heim joints. https://www.bearingscanada.com/Rod-Ends ... s/2035.htm.
This combination never got out of time and collided in the middle of the glass. The wiper motor was an IHC American Bosch 12 volt. I do not have any pictures.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:08 pm

I was driving east on Highway 7 when I saw this "L". The owner/builder made the top removable. The "L" is obviously a 4X4. What is not so obvious is the Cummins 24 valve Diesel with dual compound turbochargers and an NVG5600 transmission and NVG 241dhd transfercase.
This "L" is very well done. The owner says, "it will take your breath away, under acceleration." The workmanship was enough to take my breath away.
Attachments
24 VALVE CUMMINS POWERED ROADSTER PICKUP.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:47 pm

If someone just verbally described that truck to me I probably wouldn't get too excited but seeing the picture.....Wow that is one sharp looking custom! Even that color blue hits a home run with me.
56 S120 4x4,
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S