WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Just keep it clean please....

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:32 pm

Re: WHAT DID YOU DO IN YOUR SHOP TODAY

Until and IF I do something for a place to have projects/tools, I try to stay away from all the temptation, including the auctions!

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:33 pm

Until and IF I do something for a place to have projects/tools, I try to stay away from all the temptation, including the auctions!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:13 pm

Some years ago, I bought the total stock of plastic parts bins at a warehouse renovation sale. I still have cases of parts bins I have never opened. Last week I bought a beat-up LISTA storage cabinet. I do not want to spend big money on dividers for the Lista. I did check the pricing. OMG I would have to cough up nearly $2000cdn.
I let my mind off leash and I remembered the hundreds of bins still in boxes. After a little fitting, I discovered a combination that will fit in a Lista drawer.
The Lista has 6 drawers. I will need 4 drawers for fasteners. the two lowest drawers will be for metal bits and pieces.
Attachments
AKRO MILLS parts tray board 1.jpg
PARTS BIN COMBINATION.jpg
BIN COMBINATION TO FIT
akro mills 2.jpg
AKRO MILLS
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 pm

I changed the air filter in my BMW 2009 GS. What's so hard about that you say? well maybe not hard but involved. Remove the seat, remove three major body panels then undo 2 clips and work the intake housing off the air box and out of the frame, then work the filter out of a tight space, wipe things down and work the new filter into place without ruining it and then reassemble everything in reverse order. A real PITA for such a simple maintenance item. German engineering gone wrong. At least getting at the valve lash adjusters and spark plugs make up for it when it's time to work on those.

IMG_0960.JPG
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:05 pm

I took the truck out of the garage for the first time this year. Had a bit of a clear and put a few new pictures and a flag on the wall. Also my Dad made me a console, which i installed.
Attachments
IMG_3541.JPG
IMG_3540.JPG
IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3538.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:11 pm

I am waiting for my son to get up so he can give me a hand with unloading a Rockwell Delta belt/disc grinder. I found this machine on Craigslist. I had to pay a few hundred more than I wanted to. I think I got a good deal anyway. This is the last of the cast-iron, made in USA units.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=delta+ro ... 0&bih=496#

BTW, I like the look of that consul. Good job to your Dad.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:42 pm

lbesq wrote:Until and IF I do something for a place to have projects/tools, I try to stay away from all the temptation, including the auctions!

I have read this statement more than a few times. The "until and if" part sticks with me. I feel there is a deeper meaning here.
I am at that age where getting out to the shop can be the most difficult task. On one side of this, I struggle with mobility and on the other side of this situation is, if I do not get out and make an effort, the day after is playing catch-up. Catch-up is never a full return.
There was never a time when I dwelled on getting old, but here I am. The options are few, so every day I have to make the choice. Get outside today or make it more difficult tomorrow.
Maybe Lloyd is the luckier of the two of us. He has cleared his shop and learned to control temptation. For Lloyd, it was auctions. My guilty pleasure is Craigslist. Buyer's remorse has not been something I had to deal with. So, this is a new unpleasantness for me.
My wife calls my buying new machines distractions. She says I am running away from reality. I know beter than to disagree for two reasons. I would rather remain silent and think she might be wrong and or, I don't want the details that support her truth.
So, today, I want to take my latest purchase apart and do a clean-up. The motor needs changing out to single phase. I do not have three phase power in the shop because it was never an option.
Then there is the old Ford. It is at the final sensor test and a start-up test. I have learned to walk past the Ford and not see it. The conscience I married reminds me that the amount of money spent on the Ford should not be ignored. She is right, again. I know the supporting details are valid, I just want to walk past them and not hear about it.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:49 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I am waiting for my son to get up so he can give me a hand with unloading a Rockwell Delta belt/disc grinder. I found this machine on Craigslist. I had to pay a few hundred more than I wanted to. I think I got a good deal anyway. This is the last of the cast-iron, made in USA units.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=delta+ro ... 0&bih=496#

BTW, I like the look of that consul. Good job to your Dad.

Thanks, i like the look of your belt/dics grinder. I have wanted one of these for some time. Unfortunately i just don't have the room......or a workshop come to think of it. I have a 10' x 8' shed which seems to be getting more and more stuff getting piled in. The only power tool i have is a bench grinder. Several tool boxes, a bench, a vice......no electric, everything runs off an extension lead as and when required.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:38 pm

Only a few months ago, I sold a Rockwell 6 inch belt grinder. This grinder did not have the 12 inch side disc. I paid $350. I had it for nearly a decade. I got $500 for it in only a few hours on Craigslist.
The Rockwell Delta grinder I bought yesterday was another Craigslist find. I had to pay $600. If I had even coughed the next person would have paid and taken it.
I have been clearing my shop of extra toolboxes. I sold a nice SnapOn tool box on Friday. That sale funded the Delta grinder.
I may have someone coming to look at and buy my Southbend lathe. I am waiting for this to happen so I can move a nice Monarch lathe into that space. My shop is like a circus. I run the side-show. There is Budweiser in the fridge, a restroom and the laptop works off the home WiFi. I wonder what Hannah and Riley are up to today.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:25 pm

I walked through my garage to get to my truck. I had a doctor's appointment. Some POS broke into my truck overnight. The passenger door lock and steering column lock cylinders were destroyed. I spent the last several hours on the phone with insurance and the police. I do not like dealing with these agencies. They appear to be focused on delay and making my situation unnecessarily complicated.
One mobile lock service wants me to tow my truck to their office and supply the parts. What is with that? This does not fit with a mobile service description.
So, it looks like the government insurance will not be able to deal with my situation until next Monday. :t0116: :t0116: :t0116: :t0116:
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion