IHC tire pump

Collectors of literature, signs, refrigerators or other IHC items

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:34 pm

IHC tire pump

Ever seen one? Picked up at a moving sale...
Attachments
20190719_194807-832x1664.jpg
20190719_194837-1664x832.jpg
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:25 am

Re: IHC tire pump

Never forget, the engine pumps a very explosive air and fuel mix into what ever you inflate with this kit.
I would be surprised if those pumps were still being sold, new, become of the danger .
The instructions suggested, only clean fresh air. Really? The vacuum inside the engine has to draw an air/fuel mixture through the carburetor to continue running on the other cylinders. The explosive mix is still there.
Those engine pumps were available at every car dealer 50 years ago. My dad bought the same inflation pump at the Chrysler dealer where he bought a 1950 Dodge sedan. I remember Macleod's Hardware selling that pump in the 1950s.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:39 am

Are they really still sold? I wouldn't think so. This is NOS that I picked up
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:34 am

While I'm sure some gas/air mix got into the air delivered, most of the air is drawn in side of the part that screw into the spark-plug hole. Otherwise very little air would be pumped with the engine at idle and the throttle closed.
Air is drawn in the fitting on the down stroke and compressed on the up stroke. Still not a very efficient pump at the CR of the old trucks. Note the slots on the side of the fitting.
I remember those being sold by J.C. Whitey back in the day.
Any gas that made it into the tire would be so diluted as not to be in the combustible range, IE too lean to burn.
All in all not one of the better ideas however.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:43 am

I've no intention of using it. Just cool to have
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:40 am

Lots of odd stuff marketed "back in the day" Anybody remember the log splitter that bolted on in place of a wheel? Rope starter (like a lawn mower) for the VW bug engine? Vacuum operated fan?
My favorite was a the "drum attachment" to turn a Model T into a snowmobile. I guess it really worked (seen a movie of it).
I have an NOS Motorola gas heater, a kerosene engine heater (you hung it under the oil pan to heat it).
People were used to using their farm tractor as a mobile power source, so it wasn't so far fetched to market to the home owner that his car could be used that way also.
Remember the Electrall that someone on this board restored? pick-up truck and mobile generator.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 pm

I bought a storage locker that was nearly full of Old IHC crap. This vacuum fan was in the mix. I gave away a bunch of complete 6 volt Bosch Dual Drive wiper systems. I may have one left. I have a person in mind for it.
I may be getting a "R" pickup frame, axles, engine and transmission delivered in a week or two. I have little or no interest in any of this, other than my wanting to design and machine an adapter for a TEC5 transmission. Start saving you pennies.
It is shop clean-up and make room time. I have gone beyond my best-before-date and it is time.
Attachments
trico vacuum fan.jpg
vacuum fan.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:00 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I bought a storage locker that was nearly full of Old IHC crap. This vacuum fan was in the mix. I gave away a bunch of complete 6 volt Bosch Dual Drive wiper systems. I may have one left. I have a person in mind for it.
I may be getting a "R" pickup frame, axles, engine and transmission delivered in a week or two. I have little or no interest in any of this, other than my wanting to design and machine an adapter for a TEC5 transmission. Start saving you pennies.
It is shop clean-up and make room time. I have gone beyond my best-before-date and it is time.
that vacuum fan is cool.
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:00 pm

Sometimes I wonder how the truck ran with all the vacuum controlled stuff, brakes, wipers, two speed rears, PDL.
It seams like they thought of it as "free" power to operate just about anything.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:49 pm

In the 1940s and 1950s, John Deere and IHC sold PTO mounted air compressors. Dad had a PTO single cylinder compressor for his Ford 9n.
I don't need a 9n, but, if the price is right, I will brave the grief. My friend has a Ford 2n on his front lawn as part of the landscaping.
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to IHC Ania