Re: politic on the board

Excellent article. I subscribed.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:17 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:Excellent article. I subscribed.

I thought you might like that!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:48 pm

56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:12 am

I have to laugh at the Make America Great Again crowd who think that Trump could or would, Most point to the 50's and 60's as the example of when we were great.
It wasn't regulation or world competition that was lacks then, it was that you could be a high school drop out, go to work at a blue collar job and make a middle class life if you were willing to work at it.
We had strong unions to keep executive and investor greed in check, sure they made money, and the corp grew, they just couldn't rake it all off the top for themselves. Now we don't have that strong counterbalance to greed and people actually believe the explanation that "we can't afford" to make stuff here! What BS, we can't afford to pay living wages and benefits and allow those at the top to rake in obscene amounts while making bad decisions that may or may not result in short term stock price gains but weaken the over all company.
As long as they can convince those at the bottom it is Mexico, China or fill in whatever country you want, that is driving down wages, while they line the pockets with extreme raping of the corporate profits, they've got the battle won!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:51 am

So true. There is a lot of disturbing news in the last few days and weeks.
https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/h_l_mencken
HL Mencken was born in 1880 and died is 1956.
Henry Louis Mencken was an American journalist, essayist, satirist, cultural critic and scholar of American English. He commented widely on the social scene, literature, music, prominent politicians and contemporary movements.
https://youtu.be/NHvalCtiLA0

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:51 pm

cornbinder89 wrote:It is hard to get people to think a year ahead, never mind decades. I am old enough that if we do nothing on the climate front, I will be dead and buried before it gets nasty. That is no excuse to let the next generation handle it! Easier to do incrementally over a long period than face the challenges all at once.

Years ago I was traveling in northern Canada and noticed a lot of homes had 2 or three vehicles, one econo box that got good mileage for local trips one big long-haul vehicle capable of long range- high speed travel and may be a 4x4 to get around in the winter.
Electric vehicles are not emission free as so many like to say, they just move the emissions to the powerplant, same with hydrogen vehicles. That being said, I would take one in a heart-beat if I could afford to have one. 99% of our car use is under 50 miles a day. We would still need a longer distance capable vehicle for medical appointments and the like, but most here own two vehicles.
I Think all of us regardless of what country we live in are dealing with politicians un willing to take steps to help their county and will view everything through the lens of will this help me in the next election cycle?
I have been watching Breixt from this side of the pond, and I don't see a workable solution. Not taking a stand on if it is good or bad, but the Ireland issue is the deal-breaker. A split Ireland has proved to be a bad thing, and I don't see how you can have part in and part out of the EU?

Apologies for changing the subject slightly, but i wanted to reply to this. I have been on vacation, which the reason for the delay. I completely agree on the next generation, we cannot leave it up to them. I personally believe climate change is happening now, albeit in the early stages. You only have to look at recent weather around the world.

I have been fortunate enough to take a vacation, where my wife and I drove from Chicago to New Orleans, whilst stopping off at Nashville and Memphis along the way. There would absolutely no way could i have done this trip in an electric car. The larger city's have charging points but the smaller places it would be impossible. This is the same for the UK. I drive up to 1200 miles per week for work in a van. There are no vehicles currently that would enable me to do so. If there was what companies could afford to buy or rent a fleet of 40 or 50. As far as vehicles being emission free, i agree and disagree. I cannot answer for other countries but in the UK we only have 7 coal power stations and in 2015 the government announced they would all be closed by 2025. It is not uncommon to see fields of solar panels now, more and more farmers are turning to this. Wind farms are also on the increase. This is the way forward, but all countries need to do more. I don't believe we will stop climate change, but maybe we could slow the process.

As far as Brexit, we should have a new prime minister next week....lets see what they can do. Im excepting nothing, i also think that in 9 months time people will be saying Thersa May wasn't that bad. Luke

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:23 pm

Watch this until the end. SVP

https://youtu.be/c43FUVShDIo

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:47 pm

harvester60 wrote: I have been fortunate enough to take a vacation, where my wife and I drove from Chicago to New Orleans, whilst stopping off at Nashville and Memphis along the way. There would absolutely no way could i have done this trip in an electric car. The larger city's have charging points but the smaller places it would be impossible. As far as Brexit, we should have a new prime minister next week....lets see what they can do. Im excepting nothing, i also think that in 9 months time people will be saying Thersa May wasn't that bad. Luke

Electric's make sense for some things and not for others. A long trip with an electric car doesn't make sense even with "fast' chargers (DC charging) at least with today tech. BUT for large percent of the trips that would fit into the range of an electric they do make sense.
Liquid fuel is hard to beat for energy in the smallest package and for refueling time, add to that we already have the infrastructure for it.
If they do get the range up to where they will work for 99.9% of all trips, then rent a liquid fuel vehicle for the .1% of the trips that can't be done with an electric.
This country still burns a lot of coal, some oil and Natural Gas for electricity with nuclear being all but phased out. Wind and solar are coming alone but we will never power this big country only on wind and solar. Hydro is a mixed bag,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:41 pm

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:50 am

nikkinutshop wrote:Watch this until the end. SVP

https://youtu.be/c43FUVShDIo

I guess it would be unfair of me to judge to much on another countries leader, having said that.....yes this is exactly what i have been thinking. We will end up with our very own Donald Trump. In a few more hours the results will be out and we will see who our new leader is. Oh joy.....cannot wait.
I sure Donald has done some good, but living in England we don't get to hear about it.

Lets wait and see what Boris can do for us in the coming months, but im sure we will still be a laughing stock. His got a big job on his hands and a lot to do with various other things, like Iran.

In other notes the UK produced more electricity from solar panels than it did from coal since 2017.
PreviousNext

Return to Non-IH discussion