1973 Loadstar...possible water truck

The workhorse

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Re: 1973 Loadstar...possible water truck

Thank you very much CB89 that was a great write-up with information. Really assisted my truck check up today. A sticky would be a great idea I can find pictures and resize or edit to add to that if you'd like.

So, an update... today I went to look at the truck.

It was an ex HAHN tanker truck without the rear body. The truck sits on 5 spoked hubs attached to Dayton style Rims and riding on 22.5 tubeless tires front and rear. All tires look great- without a lick of sun cracking or excessive tread wear. All hold air. The rears are re-treads. There appears to be a new rear axle brake line installed with newer wheel cylinders and one seal. The brakes are still a mystery as I haven't driven the truck.

It is an ex fire truck and has one of the central control dials to turn everything on and everything off. It was broken. We had to jump the truck- and hold it in place to keep running. The engine is a 392 with a serial number of 11111111 underneath- remanufactured block? it had the Holley carburetor, with manual choke and a Mico Hydraulic Brake switch. Radiator as well as brake master cylinder were empty but appeared clean inside. There are remnants of some seriously funky fire truck wiring which needs to be eliminated- spaghetti nest is atypical for a 46 year old truck. Looks like there were Knob holes on the drivers side floorboard for a PTO for the pump but these have been eliminated and the PTO is long gone. Would like to install another. Easily available? Clutch pedal moved but didnt go all the way to the floor.

It had starting issues but eventually started and ran relatively well with foot on gas- mind you is hasn't been started in 2 years. Black smoke from choke on start up followed by some whiter smoke. Not sure- it was in shade.

Body wise the cab has typical rust at door bottoms and patches in floor pans and heater plenum. The frame is the double type with some rust in the under cab crossmember where it meets the drivers side as well as the RH rearmost cross where the rear spring hanger is riveted. The axle is a single speed but may have Posi-traction?

It is a Rockwell Standard axle
Heres what the tag says:
ROCKWELL STANDARD
C19 3201 Y 3431
334481 C21
KN 000550509
N. AMERICAN ROCKWELL 10/72

Not sure what this all means- a decode would help...
I ALSO should mention the owner ( Super nice guy BTW) gave me two manuals Part 1 and part 2 IH manuals for the Loadstar and Cargostar he got on Ebay.

I had arranged a trade as exchange for the vehicle but things have changed a bit...

SO HERES THE KICKER...READY? The truck is FREE! Yup gratis...no charge..freebie. Titled and bill of sale. I have to arrange transport to my home 1 hour away. I would ultimately like to drive it back but with brake situation not likely. So a tow is in order. The PO and I have come to an agreement and I am looking for moving options.

Is this crazy? Am I crazy? I can perform the necessary work but it will take time as my cash flow is relatively non existent.
Input needed...

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:33 pm

Images...
Attachments
IMG_5279.jpg
IMG_5274.jpg
IMG_5275.jpg
IMG_5269.jpg
IMG_5267.jpg
Red arrows =patches

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:33 pm

More images...
Attachments
IMG_5299.jpg
IMG_5297.jpg
IMG_5298.jpg
red arrows= Copper plumbing pipe. What the heck???
IMG_5292.jpg
IMG_5290.jpg
IMG_5288.jpg
IMG_5287.jpg
Red arrow= Leaks?
IMG_5286.jpg
IMG_5285.jpg
IMG_5283.jpg
IMG_5282.jpg
Red arrow = Frame rust out

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:22 pm

You've got quite a project ahead of you, but the price is a +.
The hard copper line looks to be used as a Vacuum line. More than likely to replace a rusted out steel line. The tank below the hydrovac is a vacuum storage tank.
The engine is a governed 392.
When working with brake vacuum systems the hose MUST be vacuum hose for trucks, do not replace with any other type hose, it will not stand up to vacuum service.
If the hard copper was braised or silver soldered I wouldn't be too concerned, but may not pass an inspection. If it was soft soldered it will likely crack from vibration and twisting.
Leak at rear axle might be oil or brake, can't tell from pictures.
Do NOT rely on a mico-lock (line lock) to hold a vehicle unattended.
Its going to take a lot of work to bring it up to road ready standards, only you can decide if it is worth it to you.
As to PTO's the original firetruck likely had a "powertower" in the driveshaft, the would dis-connect the driveshaft and allow full engine output to drive a fire pump. Transmission side mount PTO's are limited to low Hp output. Best to buy a new PTO built to the spec's you need and the trans you have.
Having said all that, I'm not sure it would be worth all it's going to take just to haul water a handful of times a year, I seam to remember that you CAN get it delivered, for a fee.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:20 pm

empty master and radiator are red flags, esp radiator. The master and whole braking system can be rebuilt with new parts for not too much, but most don't drain the coolant when they are going to let an engine sit, so where did it go? Cracked block can't be ruled out esp if there is white smoke on start up.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Also, the numbers off the tag on the rear axle housing, (if that is where you got the numbers, and it looks to me to be so) are for the HOUSING only, they don't tell you anything about the center section (gear set).
With a little digging you could come up with the housing's axle rating and that is about al.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Not quite the rosy picture I was hoping for. A compression test may be in order? It is a "free" truck...but will it be a ball and chain around my neck sort of thing? Hmmm...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:07 am

Can't answer that for you, you will have to make that determination yourself. I know PA and Mass have or had, rigorous inspections for trucks, I think NY does also. Keep that in mind when making your decision.
There may be a very good reason for it being "free" the current owner doesn't want to pay to dispose of it! Just a thought.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:23 pm

I know...it will be a tough decision. Any idea what just this rig would weigh? Ballpark with a 392 engine and no body on rear, 169 inch wheelbase? For towing purposes.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:31 am

7K-9K
PreviousNext

Return to Loadstar