Engine help!

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Engine help!

Recently I poured a small amount of that fuel injector carburetor cleaner you can pick up at Walmart into my fuel tank. Before this, the truck ran just fine, but after I poured it in, the truck would only run with the choke on. As soon as I would turn the choke off, the truck would shut off. I figured it just wasn't wanting to burn the stuff, since fuel was still geting to my carb, and I have a small inline fuel filter to catch debris before fuel enters the fuel pump. Today I emptied the fuel tank and filled it with new fresh gas. I started the truck up and had the choke on and let the rest of the old fuel burn out and the new fuel began pumping in. As soon as I would turn off the choke, however, the truck would immediately shut off. I started the truck up again, this time I had it running with the choke barely on, but as soon as I would turn it off, it worked like an off switch and the engine would immediately stop running. I don't understand why it will run with just the tiniest amount of choke but as soon as the choke shuts off, the truck immediately shuts off as well. Any help?

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: Engine help!

Whenever I try starting it up now with the choke off it will run for like one second and then shuts off.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:41 pm

This is on my L-110 by the way.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:17 pm

Wonder if the stuff you added to the gas may of broken loose some
gunk in the tank and now has fouled the pump, carb and/or filter.

Hope to hear your resolve of the issue.

sm

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Yeah, I really don't want to take the carb apart again since I have already rebuilt and put it back together several times, but it looks like I may have to. I believe fuel is still getting through the filter, since when I accelerate gas squirts into the carb bowl, and the truck will run. I just don't know how just a tiny bit of choke makes the difference between the truck running and not running.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:37 pm

Usually those symptoms are lack of fuel or vacuum leak. I'd start at the filter it's easiest to check. I have a hard time believing that any cheap fuel cleaner removed that much gunk that quick. I think timing is just coincidental.
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm

If it were a vacuum leak could it be leaking from the vacuum tube going into the wiper motor? I did recently take out the wiper motor and I cleaned it and lubed it and put it back in the truck. I pushed the vacuum tube back into the wiper motor, but i noticed it seemed like the vacuum tube was threaded and I was able to spin it around.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 am

I cleaned out the fuel filter, but the truck is still doing the same thing. I played around with the wipers, but after I took it apart before and put it back together and on the truck, it is not working. I did notice that when I would turn the wipers on and off though, that the engine would run slower and faster. regardless, the truck would still shut off as soon as the choke was all the way off.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Wiper switch sounds like its leaking vacuum. It's clearly running lean which is either too much air or too little fuel. Check your carb base bolts.
I'd cap the wiper vacuum nipple at the carb or manifold temporarily while you diagnose. Did you reconnect your vac. advance? Have you done a vacuum leak check with starter fluid or a propane torch?

As for fuel problems:
How did you empty the tank? Drop and dump or do you have a petcock? Was it running ok after you rebuilt the carb? Are you sure your fresh fuel was fresh?
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:12 pm

I figured it out. I took off the fuel filter this morning and blew it out. Then I took the carb off and apart and I blew it all out with the blow off gun. Finally I took the line going from the pump to the carb off and blew it out. When I got everything back and and back together the truck ran without choke! I noticed when I took the carb off that there was barely any fuel in the bowl. There was probably something clogging in the carb, not allowing the bowl to fill up. What is the vacuum advance? How do you check for a vacuum leak?
Next

Return to L, R and S