P/S Update

IHC in the early to mid-fifties.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:05 am

P/S Update

Here's what I have so far, had a drag link made, aftermarket toy pitman arm modified for a steering joint, mounted box offset with 3X3X3/8s plate, 3/8s plate added for support, came in the inside of pitman arm instead like original outside. Will be adding pump in the future. also had to get a new bearing seal, and spring, in the wheel area. That's it for now.
Attachments
toy steer 6.jpg
toy steer 5.jpg
toy steer.jpg

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:52 am

Re: P/S Update

When you get done and are satisfied, could you do a complete Bill of Materials and a cost for this modification. Understanding that some prices will vary with location and parts costs. Thanks sir.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:40 pm

kevin wrote:Here's what I have so far, had a drag link made, aftermarket toy pitman arm modified for a steering joint, mounted box offset with 3X3X3/8s plate, 3/8s plate added for support, came in the inside of pitman arm instead like original outside. Will be adding pump in the future. also had to get a new bearing seal, and spring, in the wheel area. That's it for now.

Thiiss is awesome
Matt H.
My toys:
1951 International
1972 Buick Centurion
1957 Buick Special
1939 Buick Special
1978 Cadillac Superior Hearse

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:48 pm

lbesq wrote:When you get done and are satisfied, could you do a complete Bill of Materials and a cost for this modification. Understanding that some prices will vary with location and parts costs. Thanks sir.

Lolyd,
First of all I'm to old to be a sir. lol. The cost of this way more than the way a buddy of mine did, Don with his power assist. The only reason I did this with the box was, getting off the floor just don't cut it anymore. I had problems in the past with P/Assist.
I would have to break the prices down later, for instance the box alone cost 350.00 + shipping, rebuild 314.00 + shipping. That will deter guys from doing it this way. The box was only made in the 4X4 Toys and the 2WD chev and ford guys used them for years. Hard to find.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:37 pm

As far as the support frame wise I got this idea from nicki.
Attachments
toyota support.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:35 pm

This is the bracket/adapter I made/used on our "L" I made this bracket in an "L" shape. The adapter/bracket ties the frame together with the "Y" brace at the front. The torque load from the power steering is transferred across the frame.
The only part of your bracket that is anything like the one I made is the connection between the outer and inner frame rail. Unless you posted a really terrible picture, I am going to say you need to start over with new material. The mounting bracket for the steering box has to carry the torque.
The steering box is from a Chevy Malibu, rear wheel drive. These Saginaw steering boxes can be had for $25 or less. . I got my last two for free.
I like the Saginaw steering box because it is made in USA and there are lots of aftermarket adapters, steering columns, universal joints, Pitman Arms and adapters to many different steering shafts. I am using A Saginaw box on out Ford. Saginaw came in about 100 different configurations.
Companies to buy Saginaw steering reproduction columns from are, Flaming River, Borgeson, Gary Heidt and Summit Racing.
Attachments
Saginaw power steering adapter to an L110 frame.jpg
L110
SAGINAW  SIDE MOUNT  2.jpg
Side mount L110
power steering frame mount..jpg
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Lookin good Kevin!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:52 am

I likes it!!!
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks for the negative Nancy

Thanks the support Mr. Mike and Mr. Buzzman.
Will update as time allows.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:06 am

Name calling. How very erudite . Now that I know more about you and your project I will never comment again.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Next

Return to L, R and S