Lost knowledge

Back in the day....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Re: Lost knowledge

Well, it is a fallacy that the "computer" will tell you what is wrong. Ask Smogguy, It will point you to the circuit that is out of wack, but it still takes someone who understands the system to find the problem.
I was working on a Neoplan coach. It had DDEC and an Allison that interfaced with it. Neoplan didn't see fit to wire up the diagnostic light. I read the book, found the wire and pulled the codes and called Neoplan (they were under warrantee) to ask what they were going to do about fixing it. They asked how I got the codes as they didn't provide a hook-up to retrieve them. Why they built the bus without a connector or light to pull codes from I'll never know.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Maybe the company purchasing agent ordered the coach without a diagnostic port.
There were two diagnostic ports on the vehicles I am familiar with. One was around the driver's area and the second was in the engine compartment. There was a third connection in the sealed compartment where the computers are and an interface, transmission to engine, if required.
The DDEC I was familiar with contained a terrific amount of information. It was possible to download fuel consumption details against time periods, acceleration and deceleration, what gear or gears were used at the time of an event, engine over-speed, brake application, engine and transmission temperatures brake application intensity along with the expected engine and transmission diagnostics. There was one event where a driver claimed a slower speed than the amount of collision damage would indicate. The driver also claimed he had applied the brakes and they did not respond. The DDEC download showed the vehicle was travelling at 44kmh in third gear and the road speed went to zero in .250 of a second. The DDEC also showed that the driver had full throttle request at the time of rapid deceleration and the brakes were not applied.
DDEC always fascinated me. The systems were trouble free, mostly, with some lasting decades. It was almost always the wire connections that failed the pre- Weather Pack days, from water ingress. http://www.weatherpack.com/ Weather Pack was the best thing to enter the industry.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:59 pm

Don't let this go to your heads guys but a fellow had a mechanical question and I
suggested as shown below:
--
Tj Murphy, I would post your question over on the IHC index site there are a couple gentlemen there that are top shelf mechanics / craftsman their handles are nikkinutshop &
cornbinder89. Very good guys

Hope you two don't mind ... nuff said except - be safe - sm

ps- not meant to discredit other board members here I can name some of you also in this category I just wanted to put these two on the spot. :t3716:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:07 pm

There is a 28 month gap between the last post and your submission, Mister Harvey. I had forgotten about the original thread. What is the point of bumping this forward? I do not mind, but...…………….?
BTW, Harvey, am I right when I think your Binder is for sale? I think you made mention of the sale, but I cannot find any information on the sale. Maybe you could be more clear, if you are OK with this.
When it comes to knowing a few things, I am not qualified to be in the same class as CB89. CB890 could rebuild and engine through the exhaust pipe. If this trade had not worked out, CB89 could have been an OBGYN, full time, unlike myself. I was a weekend observer only. I cannot profess to knowing very much about what I was looking at. BUT, I never turned away from having a good look.
This is as Canadian as anyone can get. https://youtu.be/oX2_4y_zg_8
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:21 pm

No your confused, this is from today I could not answer his question this afternoon about lining
up the drive line after he upgraded to a larger engine on his truck and figured one of you here may
be able to help if he decided to post here.. thats all..

Take care -

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Yes I have my binder up for sale , I am in no rush to sell but it must go sooner or later as my son has no interest and at 6' 7" will not be comfortable driving it anyway.
I figure I will enjoy it and if I get what I am asking I will let it go..
anyway its over on the -F/B International Harvester Pickup Trucks site- many photos , maybe too many :)

That tune is funny -

Take care my friend

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:49 am

I do not do Facebook.
Previous

Return to Stories, Tales, Games